CHAPTER 2

They were with the SandWing king himself.

His glittering black eyes were staring right down at the dragonets. He was as huge as the former NightWing queen, Queen Battlewinner. Maybe a little bigger.

"King Sphinx," Allgazer stuttered, lowering her head. She hesitated as she spoke more. In fact, Dawn was also slightly shaking. "Sire, this was completely our fault. We are responsible for meeting this dragon when you want her. You may take the blame on me."

"Oh, dear," the king said. "You may stand." The two dragonets stood, suddenly keeping good posture to respect the king. Dawn looked back at Cicada, who was just staring at him with a frown.

"It's not your responsibility," the king informed her. "It was just a tiny coincidence. And no, dear, I won't take the blame out on you or your little friends. If I'm being honest, though, I will take the blame out on the dragons who raised her."

Sphinx pointed at Dawn.

Bone and Cacti? . . . Dawn thought. What does he want with them?

"Listen," Cicada said demandingly, even though the actual king of the SandWings was in front of her. The smaller SandWing, the queen, was staring her down for the disrespect she was giving him. "Thank you for at least wanting to try and take her, but no, thank you. You'll just hurt another dragon. We'll be on our way now, if you don't mind."

"That wasn't a choice, little RainWing thing," Sphinx snarled. He became a little more strict than he sounded before. "And do not command me. That could lead to a little bit of a punishment, darling." At the last sentence, Sphinx sounded a little less strict. In fact, he sounded careful, like he was just giving her a fair warning.

When the king said ' darling, ' it reminded Dawn of Cacti.

"UM," Cicada hissed. "We ARE leaving. I really don't care what you do to me. Just leave THEM alone." Cicada pointed a talon at Dawn and Allgazer.

The queen snarled and leaped up on top of Cicada, pinning her to the ground, clearly mad about Cicada talking to Sphinx in such a rude way. Cicada hissed loudly and started to lash at the queens neck, right where the large, indented scar was, but the SandWing queen was stretching her neck, and she was far too large for Cicada to reach, anyway.

While Dawn and Allgazer were distracted by the scene, Sphinx blew a burst of hot flame toward Allgazer, trying not to damage Dawn in any way, and Allgazer jumped back.

But she wouldn't allow him to hurt another dragon.

Dawn turned and immediately jumped on Sphinx, giving him a large, poisoned slash across his eye with her barbed tail. The SandWing king roared and snatched her tail, hissing, with smoke coming out of his nostrils. He inhaled for another blast.

Dawn snatched his jaw and snapped it shut, letting him breathe the flame into his own mouth. Sphinx's eyes widened. Dawn shoved the kings head on its side and let his mouth open, blasting the rest of the fire at the queen. The queen hopped off of Cicada and spread her large wings, giving Sphinx an expression that clearly yelled: what are you doing?!

Allgazer jumped onto the queen, pinning her to the stone walls, and slashed her across the neck where the scar was. The scar split open, and it started to spill blood everywhere. Allgazer hopped back and let the SandWing queen clutch her neck with a slight squeak and drop to the ground, letting blood spill out of her mouth and onto the floor.

Sphinx gripped onto Dawn's tail tighter. He did not let go. His claws started to dig into her scales, into the flesh. He pulled up, and flipped Dawn over. Her back slammed onto the ground as she growled in pain. Sphinx had the opportunity to pin her to the ground.

And with a chilling crack, rip her poisonous tail barb right off.

Dawn let out an earsplitting shriek. Her eyes widened. This was the most pain she had ever felt in her entire life. It felt like a dragon was constantly fixing and rebreaking a bone, digging into your flesh as it went.

Allgazer and Cicada turned to face Sphinx and Dawn. After a few moments, Allgazer had smoke rising from her nostrils. She hissed loudly, and it got louder, louder, and louder until she blasted a steaming hot flame at Sphinx, giving him a little burn scar on the side. The metal on his armor decreased it a little. Sphinx turned her head toward her and snarled. Cicada hissed after that.

Dawn could barely see. She was going to pass out. The last thing she saw before she did, though, was Cicada, standing over her, blasting a bunch of black liquid at Sphinx.

The liquid poured down Sphinx's face as it hit his snout, making a bunch of sizzling sounds, but it didn't make as much noise as the SandWing king did. It felt like an earthquake as he roared in pain and fury.

Dawn closed her eyes for just a couple of seconds and then opened them to see that Allgazer was carrying her on her back, and was following after Cicada.

And then she closed her eyes, leaving her in an empty space.