Chapter 10

Ciel knew that in order to precede the royal police in carrying out and solving the investigation he would have to work much harder than normal. Interpreting the suspects' alibis, carefully observing the crime scenes and then connecting all the facts related to the case were all actions that required care, effort and above all patience.

In the case of the two demons, the world of the occult and paranormal also got involved. For each thing they would do a certain amount of energy was released, an aura that described their true nature and to avoid detection, Sebastian knew what to do. He knew a simple but powerful spell that could disguise their demonic essence and make it resemble that of a human.

All that was needed to make the spell work was the blood of the person whose aura to copy and draw a mask on their face with it. At first Ciel thought it was just a waste of time, he felt stupid to smear his face with the red liquid, but when he noticed that it worked with Sebastian he decided that he would use it more willingly, only when the occasion called for it.

The two demons had practiced this spell both to precede Richard to work and when they hosted him for lunch, but inexplicably James managed to unmask Sebastian. "What mistake will I have made?" he wondered, but couldn't give himself an answer. Fortunately for Ciel instead, the mask had worked giving his new colleagues the idea that they were dealing with a human.

Ciel was not a human at all. He had become one of the most monstrous and destructive creatures in existence, and his intelligence, which went beyond all limits, made him something more frightening. Ciel had one goal that he would achieve only through two people and he would share the result of success only with Sebastian.

The diabolical Count wanted to taste the chaste soul of Elizabeth and taste the now damned soul of Richard who had willingly exchanged it by signing a diabolical contract.-:Aah...Sebastian, I never expected to find myself in such a situation:- sighed Ciel contentedly as he sat in the armchair in front of the fireplace.-:Sooner or later you too will get used to it Bocchan:- the butler reassured him as he tidied up the room. For a moment Ciel paused to think as he turned serious.-:We'll have to manage the time from now on, the investigations will be busy and Elizabeth's wedding is coming up in a week.:--:So are you going to start with her? What are you going to do?:- asked the other without stopping doing the chores.-:I think it will be enough to seduce her and even if she's not as naive as she appears I will have to give myself a lot of work and in addition, I will have to pay attention to her promise:-.Ciel knew what he was going to do with Elizabeth but hadn't thought anything about Richard yet. Take out James? "Nope" he thought. That would have been too obvious and suspicions would immediately fall on him and Sebastian.-:Bocchan, regarding Count Richard I advise you to be very careful. Stealing a soul from a demon is an act that is heavily punished, a law was enacted regarding this only after what happened to us:-.What law?Ciel did not remember anything like that. The Count looked at him alarmed. -:What did that law say Sebastian?:-.The butler looked at him shocked, had his master really forgotten? He sighed with a somewhat angry look and then looked at him reproachfully. -:It says that anyone who tries to feed on a soul damned by another demon's contract will be killed by the Balance organization.:-.
"Damn it!" Ciel shouted in his head. How had he forgotten so easily. -:Thank you:- he said getting up-:I'm going to take a bath, you don't need to prepare anything I'll do it myself:-.-:As you wish, call me if you need:-.Ciel wanted to think.

The water was warm and foam was slowly floating on the surface. Ciel, immersed in the transparent water, was staring at floating bubbles from the tub. At one point one of them stopped in front of him and he could see his own reflection in it. His hair was pulled back and his eye without the bandage. The bath was one of the few times when he could take that thing off and show his right eye. He hated having that mark and yet he did not mind that that was the reason he could rely on his butler. Even though he did it out of obligation, Sebastian had given him all his trust, and in the years to come they had gotten to know each other much better. This was one reason why he wanted to share Elizabeth and Richard's souls with him but didn't want to risk death to do so.
-:The Balance organization huh?:- he sighed, resting his arms on the edges of the tub. It was an organization that stood for everyone but also for no one. If an angel, demon, shinigami or any other nonhuman creature of the world did something serious that could affect others, they were punished or killed and verdicts were taken depending on what was done. They didn't care who you were, if you did wrong you would have to pay back the consequences with a very high price. Ciel chased those thoughts out of his head and plunged completely into the water. He tried to open his eyes, which, despite the soap, did not sting. Even little things like these often surprised him. Twelve years had passed but he still hadn't gotten used to the advantages of being a demon. Ciel got out of the water and dried himself with the towel. Next to it was also the one he used to use as a child, which at the time wrapped him completely, now only half-covered him. "Was I really so tiny?" he asked himself. Now he was a man. A man, but only his features made him so. Who knows what his true form was? He didn't know either, and he had never even seen Sebastian's. He had always prevented him from doing so. Who knows why?

Ciel was very intelligent but yet his head teemed with questions about everything and since he would live as an immortal being, he would never be able to stop asking.

Much farther away, however, Richard stood on the terrace lying on the floor watching the night sky. "The clouds are coming back, there goes the usual London weather," he thought. But in spite of the threatening clouds, he did not move from there, he liked to stay and watch the sky, cloudy or not he didn't care. To be honest, Richard was fascinated by everything around him and since he had regained his sight, he did nothing but use those emerald eyes to observe everything. -:Master please come back inside or you will get sick being out here:-James invited him.-:Why don't you come in too? Come on lie down here with me:- diverted Richard gently and without looking away.James remained silent but did not refuse the Count's invitation and sat down next to him.He too was now gazing at the sky -:What are you thinking about?:- asked the butler.-:I think I cannot thank you enough:- replied the blond with a sweet smile on his face.James was surprised; he had not expected such an answer from a human.-:If it wasn't for you now I wouldn't even be here:- added the boy.-:If you think so I gladly accept your gratitude but you know well the real reason for the contract...:--:Yes, but I don't know why I still feel like to thank you:-.At that point James got up and went back inside followed by Richard who continued to smile. He believed that their bond was not a mere coincidence but something only he could understand and he was trying to teach it to James as well.