Chapter 13

For Grell, the count's words were a kind of job notice.In reality, Ciel's words were a death notice, more precisely to humans.

Humans;
beings with a God-like image but a soul darker than the one of the devil.
Beings who had always had the ability to adapt to the environments in which they lived and, because of this, had developed ever more innovative and workable methods to live their lives to the fullest and to survive in the most chaotic and desperate circumstances, often, created by their own kind.

But there were two things that were certain in this world:the first was that life never held anything good in store and if one did not have at least a couple of problems simply could not be human because one could not understand the concept of despair, suffering and anger;the second was death itself, a word that described the end of one's life and the beginning of another, nothing was more certain than that and yet everyone feared it so much that they tried to avoid it in any way they could.The Count wanted to kill the people who had invoked Sebastian because they were in his way, but mostly because he did not want what had happened to him in the past to happen to anyone else. Blood, pain, despair, these were all things that no one should ever have to feel for someone else's advantage. Especially a child.

Although this partly contradicted his feelings, he felt the need to take out those who stood in his way in order to continue with the plan of his game and to prevent another event involving despair from occurring.The count immediately got to the heart of the matter.-:Grell, you've collected the souls of some guys these last few days right?-:Hmmmm...Oh yes, they were really cute when they were alive, what a bad ending for the poor guys, what a waste :- replied the redhead all elated.-:Yeah, alright, but tell me, where did you find them?:- asked Ciel insistently.-:I'll only tell you if Sebby gives me a kiss on the cheek!:- proposed Grell, winking and gesturing as they usually did.Needless to say, the two demons were shocked at how little seriousness the attention-seeking reaper had.-:Listen to me Grell:- Sebastian intervened, and with his deep and persuasive voice he approached the shinigami, took their cheek in his hand and with a penetrating look proposed them something that the redhead had dreamt of for years.-:If you show us the place where you collected those souls, I will give you more than a kiss.:-Grell was about to burst, and did not think twice about setting out.

Not far from the church from some time earlier, the shinigami led the two men past an ancient-looking building. The doorway was woodened, the windows creaked and the rain and wind, over the years, had given that pile of beige bricks a rather grim appearance. Above the large brown door was a large white sign with the word 'Library' written on it and the letters were clearly visible. Grell opened the door with some effort due to its weight and the screeching sound echoed down the dark corridor behind it. They signalled to the other two to follow them inside. It was not long before in the seemingly uninhabited building full of cobwebs and dust that the redhead stopped in front of a small statue in the shape of a woman and moved it back a little, opening a door that released dust into the air.
Behind the hidden entrance was a passageway lit by torches. The walls were decorated with unusual pictures of mythological creatures and the further they went, the uglier and more gruesome the figures became.
Ciel had already seen those drawings in his witchcraft books when Sebastian had started training him."Whoever got involved in this kind of business is surely someone who knows how to do their job well. From now on, I'll have to be careful how I move" thought the young man as he focused his gaze on the pictures.

Not far from a tightly closed door, Sebastian suddenly stopped. Just behind that door, the butler had heard some voices -:Bocchan, there are people in there:- he said in a low voice to not make too much noise.-:Can you tell how many are in there?:- the count asked him.-:Hmmm.... twenty people if not less, and their voices are getting louder:- said Sebastian with a sombre look.At that point, Grell, looking confused, looked first at Sebastian, then at Ciel, and then at Sebastian again -:Sebby dear...um, have you become Joan of Arc?:--:Don't be silly Sutcliff, wha he's saying can only mean one thing...:- Ciel scolded him. He and the butler looked at each other, now what? What would have they done?-:Bocchan, I have a plan in mind, but you must pay attention to what I'm about to tell you,  we don't have much time before I am summoned again:-  announced Sebastian with a satisfied manner.

-----(Meanwhile in the Moonlight mansion)------

Intent on munching on some snacks, Richard began to reread the investigation files for the whateverenth time, hoping to find a few more clues so he could then concentrate on the wedding.
James, interrupted his master and alerted him of Elizabeth's arrival-:Master, I advise you to stop binge eating, especially while holding documents and in addition you risk on getting dirty and making an unpleasant figure in front of the Lady:-.
The Count cast a somewhat childish glance at the butler and arranged everything he had on the desk of his office and then politely said -:James, let her in here, I want to be alone with her for a while:-.
-:Yes, Master:- pronounced James bowing. Richard was always very polite with his requests.

Elizabeth came in smiling but not as radiant as her usual self. When she saw Richard watching the view from the window she greeted him almost without making a sound.Richard immediately turned and leaned in to kiss her. She kissed him back and they remained close for a while; they had not seen each other since the decision to collaborate with Ciel and spending even a minute together was very satisfying for both of them.He brushed a lock of hair behind her shoulder and looked at her happily, caressed her cheek with the gentleness of someone who was touching something precious and very delicate; he couldn't do without that girl.She cared for him too, in fact, that was the reason she had come that day.Her face changed from smiling to a worried, almost confused, expression.-:My dear, what's troubling you?-:Richard, today I wanted to ask you something important:-.The Count became worried, what could it be? In the mean time he didn't detach himself from her even an inch.-:I... I had a dream that really scared me:- she began to speak. Richard motioned her to proceed ready to listen.-:In the dream there were you and my cousin Ciel, both of you stood motionless before me while a dark and maleficent looking cloud engulfed you:- she continued hesitantly.-:My dear, it must have just been a nightmare, I think it is quite normal:-, Richard tried to console her but his gesture was in vain as Elizabeth silenced him.
-:I'm not finished, as you and Ciel were being swallowed up, your left shoulder and his right eye began to glow, how do you explain that? You wear a brace on your left arm covering your shoulder while Ciel wears a patch over his right eye. I may sound crazy but ever since I had that dream I have been feeling tense, as if I were in danger. Now please be honest with me Richard:-.The girl began to cry, but did not stop looking into her lover's eyes.-:Is there something you have to tell me? Is there something you are hiding from everyone and even from me? I know that your work forces you to make choices whose nature I don't even want to imagine, but please tell me:-. At this point Elizabeth's voice became firmer as she clasped her hands on her beloved's chest in search of answers.Richard didn't show it, but her words shocked him. How was such a thing possible? Because of a dream he and Ciel were about to be unmasked. His better half, the companion with whom he would spend what was left of his life, was asking him for something beyond loving one another, she was asking him for trust, something truly powerful.
Richard barely squinted his large green eyes and with his thumbs wiped her blushing cheeks of tears and smiled sweetly at her. -:Listen to me well my sweet half, there is nothing I have to tell you, both for me and for Ciel, the points of the body that we cover are a source of pain and sadness, surely you must have had this dream as a consequence of his return, old memories that resurface, so do not fear anything because if anything should happen, I will always be ready to give my life for you:-.At those words, spoken so gently, Elizabeth could not help but agree and began to chuckle and cry at the same time about herself. -:Forgive me Richard, maybe you are right, so, how is the collaboration with my cousin going?:--:Weeeell, let's say that on the first date he practically abandoned me, I don't think he likes me very much, in fact he called me incompetent without thinking much about it:--:Typical of Ciel, he always preferred to do everything himself, but don't pay too much attention to it, he's like that with everyone in the beginning:--:I really hope so, I don't want to pass as a foolt, it's  my pride we're talking about:-.After half an hour of chatting, both Richard and Elizabeth felt better and when it was time for her to leave, Richard resumed his investigations, but one question began to haunt him, who, in reality, was Ciel Phantomhive?