Chapter 21

It was afternoon and the bells rang out harmonically as doves hovered high in the sky flying around the steeple. The church swarmed with people of the highest class in and around London awaiting the fateful union between Richard and Elizabeth. As the guests took their seats, in the backstage Richard had his costume fixed by James,-:I'm so nervous, what if I start to stutter? What if I drop my wedding rings?:-.
The butler combed the count's hair one last time and said -:None of this will happen as long as you have me by your side, master, now please relax:-.The Count sighed and thanked James.
Meanwhile, in the last room of the main hall, Elizabeth was also getting ready. Her mother was tightening the bodice of her dress while the bridesmaids did her make-up. When the girl adjusted her veil she could not help but be proud of herself, she looked at her mother who was moved, something that did not happen often. She was about to cry herself, but had to restrain herself otherwise her make-up would have run off. -:You are beautiful my sweet daughter:-
-:It's all thanks to you mother:- said Elizabeth, hugging her mother. With a light a knock at the door Edward came in, who was astonished to see his sister. The long white dress decorated with lace and flowers made her look like an angel.-:Wow, you look gorgeous!
-:Hahah you look great too Ed, look at you, surely all the women will fall for you:-, they both laughed. They looked at the clock and it was time to go, but first Edward pulled back the veil and kissed his sister on the forehead, -:At least from now on I won't be all over you like before, but remember to call me whenever you need me:-.Elizabeth hugged him, -:Same to you, I love you big brother, now let's go:-.

Ciel still stood outside the church, not liking the fact that he was standing in front of a large Christian cross. After a couple of minutes he saw Richard greeting guests and giving information about the reception. He lit up some tobacco and took a few puffs. Ciel looked again in Richard's direction and saw that he was greeting him as he approached.-:Ciel, how nice to see you here, I am glad you came:- he said smiling.-:I did it for my cousin otherwise I'm sure Edward would have called a manhunt for revenge:- said Ciel blowing out some smoke.-:I didn't know you smoked:-.-:You didn't have to know, and I only do it when I want to sit in peace and observe...do you want to?:- asked Ciel, offering some tobacco to the Count who accepted. Richard lit the smoke in his turn and took a puff, leaning his shoulder against the wall of the church.-:You know, I knew from the first time I met you that we wouldn't get along, yet I tried my best to understand you... without success:--:I noticed it:--:And do you know why?:- asked Richard-:Why?:- asked Ciel in return.
-:Simple... we're damned, both you and I like to watch how people burn after losing and we two are sparks of power as chaotic as we are heartbreaking...- he blew some more smoke-:...but the thing we have in common most of all is sacrifice, that's why I respect you despite our great rivalry:-.
-:For once I can finally agree with you:-.They both threw the cigarette butts on the ground. -:Thanks for the chat Ciel, see you later:- said Richard and left.
Ciel waved goodbye, entered the church and sat down in his reserved seat in the front row.
The music made the guests stand up and everybody wanted to see the bride. Elizabeth looked fairy-like to say the least and walked down the aisle accompanied by her brother.
The bridesmaids held up her long dress and smiled as everyone paid compliments in a low voice. Elizabeth approached Richard and smiled under her white veil. She was so nervous that the bouquet was shaking in her hands.-:You are wonderful my love:- said Richard to calm her down.-:You too:- she said more calmly.
The priest opened the bible and began to speak.-:Brothers and sisters, we are gathered today in the house of the Lord to celebrate the union of Richard Moonlight and Elizabeth Middleford, on this day of celebration for you, may the Lord hear you:-. The bride and groom joined hands and began to say their vows.
-:I, Richard, take thee Elizabeth to be my wife, I promise to be faithful to thee always, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, and to love and honour thee all the days of my life:-.
Elizabeth was still a little tense but the joyful face of her beloved warmed her heart and once again she calmed down thanks to him.-:I, Elizabeth, accept you Richard as my husband, I promise to be faithful to you always, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, and to love and honour you all the days of my life:-.
The priest took the pad with the rings to bless them and handed it to the bride and groom.
Richard took the first ring -:Elizabeth, receive this ring as a symbol of my love and fidelity, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:- and slipped the small ring on the bride's finger.
Elizabeth also took the other ring and pronounced the words -:Richard, receive this ring as a symbol of my love and fidelity, in the name of the Father, and of the son, and of the holy spirit:- and slipped the ring on the finger of the bridegroom.
The priest crowned both bride and groom with wreaths of white flowers tied by a cord, also white, and blessed their union.
-:If there is anyone opposed to this marriage speak now or forever hold your peace:-.
The guests stood in silence and looked around to see if there was really anyone ready to oppose, but no one came forward.
Edward suspiciously looked at Ciel in doubt that he had risen to spoil his sister's wedding, but the Count was more than quiet, perhaps he was bored, but how can one blame him, after all, masses are not shows.
The priest resumed speaking -:Well, my dears, you may seal this moment with a sign of sincere love, let the groom kiss the bride:-.Richard and Elizabeth, who until then had not taken their eyes off each other, could not wait to kiss. He placed his hand on her cheek and they both leaned in and shared the kiss that would make them one.All the guests stood up and applauded, whistled and wished the new couple well.

In the evening, a ball was held in the reception room of Elizabeth's villa, which Richard and Elizabeth decided to attend, even though it was customary for them not to.
Richard had not wanted to leave immediately for his honeymoon because he wanted to enjoy himself with his guests and Elizabeth had no objections as she too wanted to stay at home a little longer.
The tables were arranged in a circle so as to leave room for those who wanted to dance and with the music that the orchestra offered there was always someone on the dance floor to entertain a few guests.
The waiters began to serve the first courses but before anyone could start eating, the clink of a glass caught the attention of one of the guests. Ciel Phantomhive.
With his beautiful and powerful figure, the girls without fiancee were almost eating him up with their eyes.
Ciel got up from his chair and placed the glass on the table.-:Ladies and gentlemen, I thank you for being part of this important event -:he began to walk towards the bride and groom's table -: the wedding of my beloved cousin Elizabeth and my esteemed colleague Richard -:he said, pointing at them with his hand.-:I have been away for a long, long time and I could not miss this day, it would be an insult to my family:-.
Ciel approached Elizabeth -:When I came back it was Lizzy's birthday and she rushed past me to greet me at breakneck speed, I swear it warmed my soul, and since I didn't get to ask her for a dance on her birthday, I would like to ask her today along with all of you:-.
Richard nodded to consent to his bride dancing with the Count and the music changed.
Ciel took Elizabeth by the hand and led her to the centre of the hall, grabbed her waist and moved just close enough not to ruin the bride's dress. He began to move his steps forward, left and right moving in circles and Elizabeth followed him swinging her dress.Some of the guests joined in the dancing but Ciel and Elizabeth always remained in the centre.
The Count moved even closer to the girl and savoured her scent without being noticed.-:Hmmm...very clever of you to use a puppet to hide the real Lizzy, since you can dance you should also be able to speak so be a good girl and tell me where the original one is?:-.
Elizabeth was shocked, her lips were trembling and she almost fell over but Ciel quickly grabbed her, spun her around and pushed her against some guests.
The music stopped and the guests were stunned.
Richard ran to the bride's aid -:What the hell is wrong with you Ciel?!:- he shouted angrily.
Ciel grimaced and moved his hair, showing the bandage on his face. -:You are so desperate to replace your girlfriend with a puppet, come on Richie, let's not fool around and tell me where Elizabeth is:-.At that moment Edward also arrived who was even more furious than Richard -:What are you talking about Ciel? Why did you push her?:-.But the Count pretended not to hear him.-:Richard, they are here now:- announced Ciel seriously.
Moonlight looked shocked, but got up, leaving the lifeless puppet on the ground, and smiled.-:I know, that's why I let Sebastian act without James stopping him:-.