4

"Hey, can we talk?" Alora asked me quietly, looking uneasy.

"Sure. Is something wrong?" It was as if her apprehensiveness was rubbing off on me. She shook her head no and we went inside to sit down. I could tell she was struggling to say something.

"I was just wondering about your arm," She glanced as if she was nervous about my reaction, "this may sound crazy if you're unaware of what I mean but... are you hiding something?" My heart rate quickened, knowing exactly what she was talking about. Agh... What do I say? Do I lie? I stayed quiet for a moment, unsure of what to do. I sighed. I mean, it should be fine to tell her. Right?

"Well..." I stopped what I was about to say and took another breath, fiddling my fingers, "We all have out secrets." I chickened out. I can't tell her— at lease not anytime soon. "Tell me what you saw though. Just to make sure we're on the same page." I spoke as calmly as I could.

"I saw— gosh I hope I don't sound crazy saying this but I believe I saw feather follicles...?" She looked at me nervously while her shoulders rose to where her ears would be, probably thinking she sounded crazy- I can't blame her though, "I know you think I sound nuts but, I've never heard of a Hylian with such a feature! There's no way I could mistake something like that."

I laughed nervously, feeling my stomach turn, "F-Feather folicles? Are you sure?" She nodded slowly and I could feel the skin under my clothes become damp.

    "I..." I bit my lip, "I had a condition when I was a child. It caused a lot of scarring on my arms a-and as I grew they began to look a little funny." I rubbed my neck, still laughing and praying she believed my lie.

She put a feather to her face as if she were thinking about what I could have possibly had that left these 'scars'. As a last-resort I kept talking hoping she'd give up. "I was bullied for them so I hide them under bandages. We're not to sure what I had but it cleared up as I got older," I shrugged casually. Thankfully she nodded and apologized for asking about them, but I reassured her that it was alright. She was just curious afterall. Alora excused herself for the night and I did too, hurrying to my room.

Sitting on the bed, I glanced at my trembling hands. My heart was beating heavily and I could feel sweat forming on my face. I used a towel in the room to wipe it off and put on some fresh warm clothes before quietly heading back outside. The cold air felt great but a huge weight sat in my chest. She's probably suspicious of me now so I have to be very careful. So many things flooded my mind and I could feel my fingers begin to tingle as my throat narrowed on itself.

    I quickly shook my head trying to stop the overwhelming thoughts but they remained where they were, tying themselves down and refusing to let go. I began walking around the village, no one awake but the crickets and myself. The breeze was strong tonight as I soaked in the silence. I rubbed my fingers through my scalp, hoping for my mind to become quiet like the village but again, it was no use. I hate hearing only my thoughts.

    As if Hylia could hear me, Vah Medoh began repositioning itself ever so slightly, breaking the silence as it scanned its surroundings. You could hear the gears turning throughout it and though it was loud, it wasn't a bad sound at all. Revali must be awake still.

    I put my hands on my hips taking in the sight of the divine beast as it moved. The wind had become colder and a yawn escaped from my mouth. Chills ran down my back as the air moved around me, goosebumps forming along my arms and legs. I quickly made my way back to Aloras and got in bed as weariness overcame me.

-

Two mornings later, Alora and I were startled awake by a sudden knock on the door. I tried my best to be the first at the door but Alora being a Rito and all beat me to it. She didn't have to put on as many clothes or do her hair as a Hylian would. I could hear her talking to someone- a man, but I couldn't tell who.