8

I grumbled in discomfort with a crook in my neck and frozen fingers as I snuggled next to Alora. With tired eyes, I could see the fire in front of us was almost out and nightfall had entirely settled over the region. I sat up, exhausted, and checked on Alora's wound.

"How do you feel?" My voice was raspy. We had been trying our best to rest but the pink Rito couldn't lay down properly as the arrow was still in her shoulder and I was too anxious to sleep. We don't have the proper supplies to pull it out and wrap it yet because Revali is still gone.

She only groaned in response with a pained expression. I could see she was freezing alongside me as the dying embers of the fire gave off no more heat. With all my strength to fight the cold, I stood up and climbed down to find some firewood. We are going to freeze to death if we continue to sit around like this. The snow had not stopped falling and rose to my knees so I waddled through toward the few trees near us, shivering.

I spotted a few pine cones and managed to gather them in my shirt, digging around a bit longer looking for some sticks. I had no luck with the sticks and eventually made my way back over to the ladder. Using one arm, I was holding the end of my shirt up with the materials in it. I used my other arm to painstakingly pull myself up to where Alora sat.

My hands were beginning to crack and bleed by the time I got back up and my lungs stung with every dry breath. My pants and shoes were soaked and I couldn't feel below my knees. I promptly threw everything I found under the cooking pot and hoped it was somehow dry enough to light the flames once more. At first, they didn't do anything but fill the room with the scent of pine trees.

I sat back next to Alora and nestled back into her feathers while waiting for something to happen. My teeth were chattering and I'm sure my lips were blue. As I began to doze off, a loud crack could be heard from the fire.

Miraculously, I saw a spark pop out of the pine cones and they slowly began to glow brighter. I felt my lips turn upwards into a smile, though they were cracked just like my hands, burning with every movement. Pushing myself from the ground, I shifted my weight forward and sat on my knees, hoping to warm my hands up.

As I stared into the fire and its light spread throughout the room, I noticed the wraps on my arms as they were outstretched in front of me. What if...

I turned my head to look at Alora. She clutched the arm that had the arrow in it and her face was still twisted in pain. I quickly crawled back over to her and sat her up so I could properly see the wound again.

"Hey. I'm going to pull the arrow out. We've been waiting for too long." I put my hand over her wing as she looked at me in worry.

"Y-You sure? Did you find supplies?" Her scratchy voice sounded weak and I felt terrible but, I nodded. Alora gave the OK to go through with it so I began undoing the wraps on my arms. When my skin was exposed, the cold air pricked at it mercilessly.

I readied the wraps and placed both my hands around the arrow. Alora hissed in response as I whispered a quick apology. She gave me some guidance as to properly handle the arrow and make sure I'm not doing more damage than there already is. I was able to identify the type of arrow as a broad head. This meant it was not going to be easy to remove but it was in a fairly good spot. I didn't have to worry about any organs and it managed to land away from any major arteries.

"Ok, Alora. This is definitely going to hurt and I'm really sorry." I placed a hand around where the arrow entered her shoulder and applied some pressure, slowly adding a little more as I grabbed the arrow with my other hand. I inhaled steadily and pulled on it, managing to dislodge it partially.