13

"Sta— Star?! Touch it?!" I swiftly looked back to the glowing object. Apprehension lingered in my chest as I shuffled my way down slowly and crouched down, examining it thoroughly. Reaching out a hand, the tips of my fingers just barely grazed its surface, instinctively flinching away. It was warm to the touch but its surface was hard; It had a slight roughness to it— almost granular.

    I pressed my palms to the star and carefully wrapped my fingers around some of its extremities, allowing its warmth to thaw out my frozen fingers. With some effort, I was able to pry it out of the ground, falling onto my bottom as it fell into my lap. Looking over my shoulder, Revali was standing at the top of the hollow.

    "Come look, Revali!" My voice was full of excitement as I looked back down to the fragment. I shifted it around to study it better and Revali came down to stand next to me.

    "Hmm not bad I must say. Normally they're a good size smaller." He leaned down to inspect it closer and I attempted to hold it up to him. It weighed a ton so my arms couldn't support its weight as I tried lifting it.

    "Are they normally this..." I strained to lift it, failing as it dropped back onto me, "Heavy?" A gasp escaped me as I laid back, relaxing all the muscles in my body. Revali audibly chuckled.

    "Are Hylians normally this weak?"

"Well excuse me, princess." I sassed, "I'm not exactly what you would call champion material."

The Rito helped to lift it out of the cavity with ease, creating a small updraft to lift himself higher. I watched in awe, amazed by his unique ability. That must be what he used to take off, only much, much stronger. And with me on his back! No wonder he's the pride of Rito Village. A large smile had placed itself across my face unknowingly and I shook my head in disbelief. If he does it again I'm slapping him into next week.

    As he set it down, it was like he lost control of the updraft. One of his wings had been shoved down as his balance was lost and Revali was sent tumbling a fair distance. Thankfully he had managed to land mostly on his feet.

    "Revali!" I rushed to him as he grabbed his wing, faintly stumbling, "Are you ok?"

    He huffed in irritation, "I'm fine." Straightening his posture, he walked back to the star as if he wasn't just tossed like a cucco in a hurricane. His stance looked weaker, to say the least as if he was trying to hide a limp.

    "You don't look very fine," I said. Does this happen often? He walked it off like it was nothing so it must happen often. What if he hurts himself? I stepped around to stand in front of him, trying to make sure he wasn't hiding any obvious injuries.

    "Well, I am. There is no reason to worry over nothing." Revali brushed me off, stepping around me. I watched him place himself near the crater once more before following.

    "Just..." I was struggling to find the proper words. Suddenly, the memories of him helping me find my way back to the village and helping Alora when I was sick pulled themselves to the front of my mind, "Be careful. Rito Village needs you." I laughed shyly.

    He was quiet for a moment before nodding with a small 'mh-hmm'.

We spent who knows how long just looking at every angle of the fragment, finding smaller, chipped-off pieces buried around the spot of impact. When held closer together, it was as though they released more energy. My fingertips slowly warmed up more with each shard collected. Soon, I had a handful of them glowing in my palms. They were the perfect size for all sorts of jewelry and accessories.

"Mind if I hang onto these?" I turned to Revali, who was sitting next to me. Minutes ago, we realized the sun was close to its ascent and decided to stay and watch.