Authority

Kitty giddily skipped down the corridor, enraptured by her own morning song.

Her sister had dropped her off at school really early today because she had some 'more important business' to attend to, so had dumped Kitty at the school gates before they'd even been opened. When the caretaker finally arrived he was surprised to see the shivering teenager standing outside the gates and had quickly let her in, allowing her the freedom to skip around school.

Singing cheerfully, Kitty fluttered into the canteen and twirled around, holding her arms out to balance herself. She giggled and paused momentarily, sinking into the silence. She liked how peaceful the school was at this time in the morning. Nobody to shout at her. Kitty sighed happily and made her way into the theatre through the back entrance accessible from the canteen.

She stood at the top of the stairs overlooking the auditorium and clapped her hands together softly. She loved being in the theatre. For some reason it made her feel like she really belonged. It was grand and old-timey. She liked old-timey.

It made her feel like a princess.

Kitty skipped down the large stairs and up onto the stage where she pranced into the middle, spinning around and giggling as if she were in a performance. A muffled shout stopped her mid-dance. She paused and listened harder, unsure to where the sudden noise was coming from. Outside, maybe?

Kitty peered through the fire exit door to the left of the stage. The door led to the car park, and through the frosted window she could just about see two figures talking next to a car with an open door. She watched curiously as the taller figure seemed to berate the shorter figure before getting back in the car and driving off. The shorter figure sighed and walked into school through the nearby reception.

Kitty held a finger to her cheek in thought. She knew it wasn't any of her business, but she could've sworn the smaller figure looked a little bit like Pat.

Shrugging her shoulders, Kitty flounced back up the stairs and into the cafeteria.

~~~~~

A little later that day, the lonesome Pat sat at his usual lunch table, eating his snacks as he read his favourite scouting book. He was so absorbed by the feature on campfires that he missed the arrival of three familiar faces.

"Good afternoon, Patrick! Isn't it just a wonderful day today?" Kitty greeted, making Pat jump.

He looked up to see he was surrounded by Robin, Kitty and Mary. "Oh, hi guys! What brings you here?"

"Came to see you, of course!" Kitty beamed.

"And to eat." Robin added gruffly, pulling out a bag of crisps from his bag and tearing off the top with his teeth.

Pat bookmarked his page and closed his book. "So, um, how are you guys?"

"Fine thank you." Mary nodded. "How about you?"

"O-Oh, yes, fine thanks! Just had English, Art and History. What about you guys?"

"Science, Maths and Geography." Mary said, pulling out her lunchbox. "Was very boring, aside from Robin punching Shawn." she looked at her companion dreamily.

"You punched Shawn? Shawn Michaelson? Pat gasped.

Kitty nodded excitedly, "Mary told me about it earlier! Shawn was saying some nasty things to Mary so Robin punched him out!" she giggled.

Pat raised his eyebrows, "Wow! Pretty noble of you, Robin. I know Shawn can be a right meanie."

"Eh, it was nothing." Robin dismissed him with a wave of his hand. He then shoved his entire sandwich into his mouth in one bite.