End

A few months later...

"Pat? Can I have a word?"

Pat looked up to find Mrs Cooper standing over him. He politely nodded and she walked him outside the classroom and into the corridor. "Yes miss?"

"I just wanted to say you've made excellent progress with the Teatime Club members this year. Not only have their grades gone up in classes, but admittedly so have their performances in lessons."

"I'm glad to hear it, miss."

Mrs Cooper smiled. "So much so that there's no longer a need for the club."

Pat blinked in surprise. "W-What?"

"The group. You've done so well that it's no longer needed. You'll finally get your afternoons back!" she smiled, hoping this would cheer him up.

It actually had an opposite effect, as Pat found himself inwardly panicking over this news. It meant that the group of ragamuffins he'd come to know as his companions wouldn't be being forced to spend time together now.

It meant... they'd go their own separate ways.

"I've already let the others know so you don't have to worry about anything like that. And once again, thank you for everything you've done for your fellow students."

A profound sadness rained over Pat but he smiled anyway. "Thanks... miss."

"You're so welcome!"

Pat dismissed himself and made his way back inside the classroom.

~~~~~

At lunchtime, the short teenager sat at the table that had become his own over the past few months of sitting there and glumly pulled out his lunch box. With none of his clubbies around he knew he'd end up being a loser again - bullied and harassed and-

"What's up, Pat?"

Pat blinked the tears out of his eyes to see Humphrey, Thomas, Kitty, Julian, Robin, Mary and Fanny standing over him. He quickly rubbed them.

"H-Hi guys. I'm fine."

"You're obviously not fine." Fanny observed, rubbing her chin.

"Fanny's right. What's up, ducky?" Robin asked, sliding down one of the seats.

"Duck." Thomas corrected.

"O-Oh, it's nothing. It's just... our group... you know?"

Julian took a seat next to him. "Oh, so you've heard then? Pity. Actually enjoyed spending time with you guys after school."

Humphrey smiled, "Warmed up to us, eh, Jules?"

"Yeah I did." the Tory gave a genuine smile.

"Just because the club's ending, doesn't mean we don't have to speak to one another or meet up, now, right?" Thomas addressed them all swiftly, taking a seat opposite Pat. He folded his arms. "I was under the impression we could remain as... friends."

"Aww, Thomas cares too!" Kitty squealed, causing the stoic poet to become flustered.

"Don't you consider us as friends?" Fanny asked Pat, who seemed the most concerned of the group. "We, at least, I consider you all as..." her voice went quiet. "Friends."

"F-Friends?" Pat's throat went dry, "Y-You think I'm your-"

"Well we are, aren't we?" Julian interjected.

"Nobody's really wanted to be friends with me before." Pat admitted with an awkward smile. "I just thought-"

"We love you Pat!" Robin grinned, hugging him from behind. "You're the best!"

Pat went beet red, "N-No honestly, stop. I'm not really a good person."

A loud gasp hurtled around the table.

"Not a good person?"

"You take that back!"

"Pat, you're so lovely!"

"We love you!"

"You've been so good to us!"

"You've helped us!"

"So don't ever say you aren't good ever again!"

"Where's Cap? I'm sure he'd agree with us too." Humphrey asked.

"He's spending some time with Will, since he's leaving soon." Mary replied.

Pat held his hands up to his red face, apologizing profusely. Julian held a hand around his shoulders as the others gathered close and complimented him. While this was happening, Cap arrived. On seeing the wholesome sight before him, he raised an eyebrow.

"What on Earth is going on here?"

Robin looked up from hugging Pat. "End of club so Pat sad - thinks we won't be friends now. Thinks he's a bad person."

Cap spluttered, "Y-You what?"

"He's feeling a little low about everything..." Mary added.

Cap cut through his friends and grabbed Pat's shoulders, kneeling down so he was his friend's height. "What's this about you feeling low?"

"I just- I don't know, I feel so... weird. Like I could have done more for you... I just... don't deserve you guys." Pat mumbled, head down.

"Now you listen here, soldier. Before I began speaking to you, I DESPISED school. I only had one... friend who isn't even in my class so I never had time to talk to him anyway. But you- you opened my eyes. I had no interest in becoming friends with you, or Humphrey, or any of you! I thought you were all idiots- beneath me and not worthy of my time. But you somehow united us. Your optimism kept me going. It made me feel alive. We've had so many great times and adventures together and it was because of you! I can't get enough of this feeling. I can't get enough of this. I can't get enough of you." he hugged Pat tightly, surprising everyone. "We love you, Patrick. Thanks for all you've done for us."

Pat stared at him in shock.

"Eloquently put, sir." Thomas nodded, descending on Pat to join the hug.

Kitty giggled and flung herself at the boys. "We love you Pat!"

"Thank you!" everyone else chorused, joining in the hug.

"Thank you everyone... just thank you. I really don't know what to say..." Pat gasped. He'd never felt so loved or appreciated before.

He'd just found his new family.