Missing

"I-" Julian thought, "-suck."

He was sitting on the floor of his bedroom, back against the door of his room.
Leaning slightly forward with his elbows propped on his thighs, he cupped his chin thoughtfully, thinking how much of an asshole he was, and had been, to the losers he called his friends.

So I'm actually admitting they're my friends now? That's so... stupid.

He let out a small sigh. He really didn't understand the concept of friends. Julian was known for being popular in his class and he spoke to a wide variety of people from different backgrounds. He had debates, he liked to flirt, he liked to bully - the group he had surrounded himself with were known bullies throughout the school, and would often be found kicking the crap out of those considered weaker than them. But despite how close he had grown to that group of pathetic ragamuffins - he didn't really consider them friends. They were toxic. He was toxic.

But the members of the Teatime Club, however-

They were different. Sure, they argued. Sure, Julian insulted Thomas and verbally sparred with Cap and flirted with Fanny on purpose to make her uncomfortable, but despite this, he still felt they were... connected, somehow. Although he had despised the teachers for forcing him to stay behind after school in his OWN time to do more work, he found the others' company... bearable.

Enjoyable.

They were nice?

Julian almost shuddered at his feelings towards the other members of the Teatime Club. Those feelings were soppy. He wasn't soppy. He'd been taught not to be soppy - it was a weakness. But the clubbies were melting his heart and he couldn't help but find ways of freezing it again. He didn't deserve their kindness after the absolute tool he'd been.

They didn't need to like him. He didn't deserve it.

Humphrey was right. Why can't I ever think before I speak?

He sighed and hugged his knees.

~~~~~

Humphrey smiled and waved at a bunch of ogling females as he strode past them in the corridor, feeling his smile drop a fraction as they fell out of sight.

He was still annoyed about what had happened the previous afternoon. He couldn't believe he'd lost his temper so easily. Humphrey was known for his laid-back temperament and now he'd ruined his image by how he'd behaved. What had he been thinking, accosting Julian like that? And just because he'd said something about Pat?

He didn't realize name-calling was his beserk button.

"Humphrey?" a voice called him from behind.

At first Humphrey winced, assuming the female voice was there to flirt with him, but as he stopped he recognized the voice as Mary's. The shorter girl flounced up to him. "Hiya Mary!" he greeted. "What can I do for you?"

"I was just wondering if you had seen Pat today?" she asked.

"Pat? Why?"

Mary shrugged, "Mrs Cooper wanted to see him. She asked me to fetch him but I don't think I've seen him yet."

Humphrey frowned. "I'll keep an eye out for him. I should see him in my classes today so I'll let him know Mrs Cooper wants to see him."

"Thanks Humphrey!"

~~~~~

At lunchtime it was established that Pat had taken a day off school. Also absent was Julian, which piqued the others' interest.

"Do you think he's off to do with yesterday?" Robin asked.

"Perhaps, although I can't see Julian being one to have his feelings hurt so bad he'd have to have a day off of school." Cap put in. "It's not like him."

"So why do you think Pat's off?" Kitty asked as she ran a finger along the edge of Cap's lunchbox. "Is he sick?"

"He seemed alright when we left him yesterday." Fanny said, "But he could have picked up a bug from school."

"I hope I don't get it!" Kitty squealed.

"We could go visit them after school, couldn't we?" Thomas suggested, much to the bewilderment of the others. "What? I'm not heartless you know."

"You mean 'THAT' heartless." Fanny smirked.

Thomas scoffed, "Coming from you?"

"Yes!"

Robin rolled his eyes. "Okay, so the plan for tonight: no club because Pat unwell. We split into two groups. One to visit Julian and one to visit Pat."

"That's... actually a good idea, Robin." Cap nodded in agreement. "So that's settled then. After school, instead of doing the club stuff, we'll meet by the bins and decide what groups to be in to visit the others. Yes?"

"Okie dokie!" the rest of them chorused.

~~~~~

And so after school, Kitty, Mary, Robin and Fanny headed for Julian's house, while Cap, Humphrey and Thomas walked to Pat's house. The first group strolled up the empty driveway and Robin knocked hard on the front door. After a few moments, a head peered out of the open left hand side window at the top of the house, followed by a gasp.

"What are you guys doing here?" Julian was surprised they'd actually come for him.

"We wanted to see how you were!" Kitty informed him.

"Yes! We were a little worried when you didn't show yourself today, after what happened yesterday." Fanny explained.

Julian sighed. "I just... didn't feel like going in today. After what I said to Pat... I'm just an idiot. Needed some time to think."

"You're not an idiot!" Mary frowned, "Don't speak about yourself like that!"

"I mean, you can be infuriating, yes-" Fanny started. "But you're not an idiot. At least, we don't think you are..."

Robin beamed and climbed up the trellis until he ended on the garage roof, then held onto the right window ledge and scooted along until he was at Julian's window. "So come out and play!"

Julian's eyes widened. "You... want me to come out?"

"Of course we do! It's no fun without you being with us and making inappropriate comments about everything we say." Fanny smirked.

Julian smiled. "Well, I'm not exactly doing much here. My mother is out at the moment."

Robin patted the window ledge and Julian shrugged, deciding to climb out that way to spite his parents. He slid out head first and Robin helped him turn around so he was upright, then he pushed the window shut. The two made their way back down the trellis and onto the garden below.

"Thanks for coming to find me." Julian admitted warmly. What he didn't admit was that it was the first time it had ever happened. "Where to now?"

"To meet up with the others at Pat's house."

"You got it. How about a race?" he shrugged. The others stared at him.

"A lady doesn't run." Fanny interjected.

"But you ain't a lady." Julian smirked, causing her to gasp. "3, 2, 1, go!" he ran off with Fanny chasing after him, the others laughing in their wake.