Friends

Pat shakily drank water from a plastic cup his friend had gotten for him and remained perched on the sink cupboard. Humphrey watched him closely, wanting to make sure he was definitely okay.

"I'm sorry... for breaking down like that." Pat sniffed, having finally calmed down.

"Don't you dare apologize." Humphrey scowled, something Pat found to be quite scary. "Bottling up your emotions is never a good idea. How long have you been feeling this way?"

Pat shrugged unhelpfully.

"Pat!"

"I don't know, I just-" Pat cleared his throat. His eyes met the floor. "My parents are hard work. I just let them get to me sometimes when I shouldn't."

"This isn't your fault. Do you understand?" Humphrey looked him in the eyes. "None of this is your fault. If your parents are saying shit like that to you..." he paused, trying to think of the right words to say without seeming too hypocritical, "Pat, your parents are wrong, okay? You MATTER. You always matter."

"Don't..." Pat whispered, feeling himself getting upset again.

"You MATTER, okay? I'm telling you this now! You've done so much for me and the others and I think- well, I know that... my life would be dimmer without you in it. You literally light it up, and for that, I thank you." Humphrey smiled.

Pat stared at him with wide eyes.

"My life was pretty much meaningless before our club started up. The routine of everything bored me, my parents were bringing me down about every little minute thing and despite everything, I actually stopped caring about people in general, despite my so-called 'popularity'." he elaborated. "I'm aloof by choice. I tolerate talking to everyone else because I have to, but you... you and the rest of the idiots in our club... changed that. Changed me."

"What do you mean?"

"Because of you guys, I found my spark again. Started drawing more. Started doing more things that would make me happy, regardless of what everyone else thought... thinks. You inspired me, Pat. I couldn't have done this without you. You're super smart and just a great guy to be around. That's why it hurts me so much when you say you don't matter. You matter to me. You matter to the rest of the club. We should be the only people who really matter, right?"

Pat was silent for a few moments, trying to digest this information. He felt himself smiling and hopped off the sink, looking up at the taller boy. "Humphrey... thank you. I-I'm not... I haven't really- I've never had any friends before but... I'm glad I can call you one of mine now... I-If you don't mind that, of course!"

Humphrey pulled a surprised Pat into a tight hug. Pat just stared at the taller boy in shock. It was such a rare display of emotion coming from the taller teenager that Pat didn't know how to hold himself so just stood there lamely.

Humphrey pulled away. "Thank you for being a good friend. You're incredible. Please don't ever forget that."

Pat smiled shyly and held the door open for his friend. "We best get to Maths."

Humphrey beamed and walked through the door, holding it open for Pat as his short friend joined him in the corridor.

"Yeah, let's."

~~~~~

"Urghhhh..."

"You okay, Julian?"

"Urghhhhhh..."

"I'll take that as a no."

"I just hate school SO MUCH..."

"Well that makes two of us."