Adventure

Pat whistled cheerfully as he carried his heavy, bulging rucksack through the woods. Chirping birds rustled in the trees above and he let out a content sigh, admiring the view. Humphrey shuffled behind him, looking around with wide eyes as he took in the majestic sights and sounds.

"This is some forest." Humphrey whistled, readjusting his own bag on his back. "How did you find this place?"

"I come here all the time." Pat readjusted his glasses, "I'm part of a scouts club, you see, and this is where we're normally based. It's one of my favourite places so thought it would be a nice place to camp, providing it stays dry, of course!" he let out a little giggle.

Humphrey smiled, "I don't know how you managed to convince my parents to let me go camping. They NEVER let me out of the house!"

"I just said it would be good for you. It's healthy, after all."

"I guess so. Where are we meeting the others?"

"By the crooked tree."

"The... crooked tree?"

"Yeah!" Pat enthused, "Was struck by lightning in the great storm of 1984 and now it's constantly on the lean. It's just over this ridge, here!" Pat stepped up the familiar ground and reached the forest clearing, spotting a bunch of familiar faces standing around the lone tree, and one person actually in the tree, waving madly at the approaching duo.

"Robin's spotted us then." Humphrey acknowledged.

Pat nodded and called out to his classmates. "Hi there!"

"It's about time you got here!" Julian's loud voice snapped back across the clearing.

Pat and Humphrey trotted along until they reached the others who had already set about unpacking their bags. The majority of them looked fed up.

"Howdy." Humphrey greeted. "Why the long faces?"

"Camping!" Thomas spat.

"Camping." Fanny rolled her eyes.

"Camping." Cap agreed.

"Camping!" Kitty chimed, wanting to join in with the fun, "I'm so excited! This was a wonderful idea, Pat! I'm so glad Mrs Cooper suggested it! I've never been camping before. This is going to be marvellous!"

"Right on! I can't wait to share a tent with you lovely ladies." Julian winked at the girls, causing Mary and Fanny to grimace.

Robin jumped down from the tree and jabbed Julian in the chest with his finger. "You're not sharing with them!"

"Spoilsport." the blonde huffed.

"Uh... right!" Pat dumped his backpack down. "So, um, thanks for all joining me today. We're going to have a smashing time! We'll start off by putting our tents together and then maybe having something to eat. We'll start our activities tomorrow."

"Sounds good."

"If we must."

"Who said you're the boss?" Julian drawled, causing Pat to hold up his hands defensively.

"W-Well seeing as how I'm used to this-"

"You thought you'd appoint yourself leader, right?" Julian marched towards him, causing the shorter boy to shrink back. "What if I wanted to be the leader?"

"Oh Julian, push off and stop being a tosspot." Fanny sniffed. "Patrick obviously knows a lot about this kind of thing and I for one think it would be a good idea if he were to remain in charge."

Pat blinked, not expecting Fanny of all people to defend him.

"I agree." Cap nodded. "Usually I'd put myself forward to be the leader, but in this case Patrick fits the bill."