Journey

Pat hugged Humphrey's neck from where he was perched on the taller boy's shoulders and he regarded the rest of his classmates with a heartfelt expression. Thomas and Cap were assisting the injured Julian down the path they were walking along, and the three girls were standing close by. Robin was ahead of the troupe and was leading them back to his house where the group had collectively decided they were going to stay for the night.

After what had happened at school that day, the friends felt some sort of new, spiritual connection with one another. Pat was forever grateful to Julian for what he'd done to help him, and was further grateful to Fanny, Cap, and Kitty, who had outlined the situation to a shocked Mrs Cooper, their teacher promising she'd make some changes so that the bullying would stop. He was grateful to Humphrey for being the first to step in when he discovered the bullying, and grateful to Thomas, Mary, and Robin for persuading him that none of this was his fault.

He was greatful for all of his friends. He actually had friends now.

"You okay up there, buddy?" Humphrey asked.

Pat nodded and rested his head on top of Humphrey's own, hoping he wouldn't mind. It had just been so long since Pat had had none harmful physical contact with anyone that he sometimes forgot himself around his new friends.

"We're almost there!" Robin cried out, running ahead with his arms stretched out. "Home, here we come!"

"So, are we going to he camping in the back garden?" Thomas asked, remembering what they'd discussed earlier.

"Yes. I have a big tent. First we'll patch up Julian and Pat, then we'll search for the tent."

"Tent?" Fanny gasped, "A singular tent? I can't share with the boys!"

"It's big enough to fit all of us in. We'll just put sheets up to cover the girls side from the boys' side."

"Right on! I'm all for sleeping together with the girls." Julian smirked before wincing in pain.

"We won't be sleeping with the girls." Humphrey put in. "We'll just be sleeping next to them."

"Whatever you say, Humphrey."

The friends made their way to Robin's house and were happily greeted by his parents, who were enthused that they were going to be camping in the garden. They prepared some hot dogs for the friends' dinner then left the equipment out for them to set up.

"Let me do it! I know what I'm doing!" Pat cried, but he was pushed back onto the garden chair by Kitty, who was tending to his wounds.

"Stay there for a moment please. You look really roughed up. I don't like seeing you so hurt."

"I'm fine, Kitty! It's just a bit of blood! And bruises. I'm used to them!"

"Well I'm not." she pouted, dabbing his face with bruise cream. "It's not fair for you to have to have gone through so much. I wish you would've told us..."

"I'm sorry, Kitty..." Pat sighed. He looked up to see Cap holding the tent up while Robin and Thomas attempted to stick the poles up.

Once Kitty finished, Pat stood up and took charge. He instructed the boys how to build the tent properly and it was soon finished, so Fanny and Mary knelt inside, squashing some pillows down to make it more comfortable.

"Finished!" Mary called from inside the tent, causing the others to pile in. "Take your shoes off!"

Shortly, Julian came wobbling outside, assisted by Humphrey, who had been tending to Julian's injuries with help from Robin's parents. The two entered the large tent and Humphrey whistled impressively.

"Wow, you guys did great! It's so comfy!"

"Thank you! We'll set the blanket up in-between us when we go to sleep."

"Sweet. Where will we be sleeping?"

"Um... on the pillows?"

"So no sleeping bags?"

"Well nobody brought any, since we didn't actually tell our parents what we were doing."

"Not that they'd notice we were gone, anyway."

The group smiled solemnly at their situation.

"My parents have some spare blankets we can borrow." Robin grinned. "I'll go and get them." he left the tent.

"I'll help you!" Mary called after him, rushing to follow.

"Aww. Those guys are so adorable!" Kitty sang, pulling herself into a hug. "How romantic!"

"Yes, of course." Cap replied, clearing his throat. "Um, so, what should we do now?"

"Truth or dare?" Julian yelped excitedly, causing everyone to groan. "What?"

"We could just stargaze." Pat suggested. "There's a bit of a window at the top of the tent. It's up to you guys, though."

"Well I think it's a splendid idea." Cap nodded his head. "It is a beautiful evening, after all."

"Surprising after such a horrific day." Thomas said.

"And let me thank you again for that." Pat shyly interjected. "I really appreciate what you guys did for me."

"It was nothing, Patrick. I just hope things get better for you at school from now on."

Pat smiled fondly at his new friends. "To be honest, I think I already have."