𝟺: 𝟾𝚝𝚑 𝙿𝙴𝚁𝙸𝙾𝙳 𝙻𝚄𝙽𝙲𝙷 ; 𝙰𝙵𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚂𝙲𝙷𝙾𝙾𝙻

- 𝚂𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟸, 𝟷𝟿𝟾𝟾 -
- 𝙼𝚎𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚙𝚘𝚕𝚒𝚜, 𝙴𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚝𝚎 -
- 𝚆𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝙷𝚒𝚐𝚑 𝚂𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚕 -
- 𝟸:𝟶𝟶 𝙿𝙼 -

HECTOR WAS ONLY the first of many to confirm to Danika that Tom and Booker were on the right track. Once she mentioned that she had transferred in from Lincoln, any kid who gave her the time of day would follow up with: Were you on the bus that got shot up?

"I nearly was," Danika would reply with a shrug. "My daddy transferred me here because he was afraid some racist was gonna get me,"

"Well he put you in the wrong place," a girl in her gym class, Tracy Edwards, told her as they changed in the locker room. It wasn't a unique response by any means, as three other kids had practically told Danika the same thing earlier.

"What do you mean?" Danika asked Tracy, though she was certain that she knew what the girl was about to say next.

"Those boys who shot up the bus go here," she told her plainly. "Marty's gang of stupid fucks. One of them snatched your hair, right?" Danika regretfully nodded her head yes. Her scalp still ached from the tension of the boy's grip. "I fucking hate those wastoids," she complained. "You got eighth period lunch, right?"

"Yeah," Danika nodded.

"Then you'll see all of 'em there," Tracy said with a roll of her eyes. "Come find me and sit at my table," she offered before closing her locker and heading into the gymnasium.

When lunchtime came around, however, she'd arrived before Tracy. So, she scanned the crowd for familiar faces and luckily spotted the redhead from her home room class. She went over to her table and was welcomed by her and a herd of cheerleaders eating lunch with her. Danika wouldn't have ever dreamed of sitting at a table like this when she was actually in high school.

She engaged in idle gossip with the girls, talking about the latest episodes of The Wonder Years and the newest New Edition music video. The girls were all in the middle of debating which member of the R&B group was the cutest when Danika spotted Tom and Booker walk into the lunch room.

Arriving with their gang of bigots, the group wasted no time terrorizing the lunch line. They seemingly chose at random who they were going to harass, the only criteria being anyone that was smaller than them or who dared to be darker in skin tone. She watched as Booker scanned the line, searching for his victim until he sett his sights on some poor boy with glasses.

"Go get 'em, Hamburger!" Booker taunted loudly as he pushed Tom towards the small boy. It was then Danika got to see Tom in action. It was strange to watch the officer skulk about in his hillbilly attire. He was donning a skull cap and a flannel shirt and was deathly silent, for the most part. She had been too distracted to pay much attention to him earlier, but he was stiff and reserved with his every action. The whole time he bullied the teen, his jaw was tense, and when he poured ketchup all over the boy's lunch, it was with little enthusiasm or fanfare—a stark contrast from Booker's performance.

He cackled along with the gang of bullies as Tom simply walked away. It looked like he was having fun, and Danika really didn't know how to feel about that. One thing she was sure of though, was that the gang the two officers infiltrated must really be stupid if it wasn't clear as day that Tom couldn't stand a single one of them. He was probably more liable to have his cover blown than she was.

And he was worried about me messing up, Danika thought with a roll of her eyes. She couldn't believe Tom had the audacity to tell her to sit this case out. He didn't even know her. Who was he to decide what she couldn't handle just by looking at her?