Chapter 3

"Jack Frost is many things, but he is not a guardian!" Aster protested.

Katherine had already listened to several minutes of bickering, but this time, she'd lost her temper.

"Alright! That's enough!" she barked, "Moon made his choice!" she raised a finger, silencing Aster before he could speak, "Shush! I'm trying to think how to handle this!"

North tilted his head at her in confusion, "What's there to handle? Jack Frost is now Gaurdian! So now we welcome him into our gathering!"

"How many new Guardians have been added since we were founded?" Katherine laid down a rhetorical question.

Sandy raised a hand, showing the number zero over his head.

"Thank you, Sandy," Katherine threw herself onto an armchair sitting by the roaring fireplace North had provided, "So, Jack is fiercely independent and never likes cooperating with others," her tone softened slightly, "But he's been very lonely these past few centuries. Suddenly being made a Guardian will be a shock for him."

Aster looked at her suspiciously, "And how would you know?" 

Katherine seemed to turn a rosy pink from the heat but remained composed, "What, you doubt my sources, Bunny?"

Aster crossed his arms, looking away as he muttered a no.

Tooth fluttered around, leaning on the back of Katherin's chair, "How about we invite him here and explain? A good talk always solves any problem!"

Katherine opened her mouth to reply but closed it. She gave a silent nod in agreement. After all, the main subject of their conversation wasn't even in the room.

North clapped his hands and rubbed them together in a business-like manner, "Very good! Now for plan!"

"I'm putting myself on record as being against this plan," Katherine called out to North, accepting a cup of hot chocolate from one of the yetis

She didn't trust the elves with her sweets.

Tooth had finally stopped her tooth-gathering management to join her friend in the refreshments, "How long do you think it will take to find him?"

"Shouldn't be too hard. Frost likes to stand out," Katherine answered a hint of sadness in her voice. She absentmindedly glanced at the mural of the North Pole above the fireplace, "I guess he's no longer in Moscow by now..." she murmured under her breath.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Tooth sidled closer, clearly intent on having a girl talk, "So~ what's their name?"

To her credit, Katherine didn't turn a hair, "You're a hundred years too late to ask the question, Tooth."

"So there is someone!"