Chapter 12

"Oh no! Look how fast they're going out!" Tooth exclaimed, watching the believer's globe in alarm.

"It's fear," Jack realized, floating up to take a closer look, "Pitch has tipped the balance. We've lost both memories and dreams, so he's gained the upper hand."

"Hey! Buck up, egg sacs!" Aster jumped forward, perching on a table to gain their attention, "We can still turn this around!" he spoke with confidence, exuding hope in his expression, "Easter is tomorrow, and I need your help."

His words sparked a light in the other Guardians as they realized what he said was true. One of the most powerful holidays of the spirits was right in front of them. 

There was a tap of a cane as Katherine stepped forward, her stride more stable and resolute, "What can we do to help?"

Aster grinned, "I say we pull out all the stops, and we get those little lights flickerin' again!"

North clapped his hands, setting his people in motion to prepare, "Bunny is right!" he rested his workworn hands on his hips, smiling jovially, "As much as it pains me to say it. Easter, this time, is more important than Christmas!"

Aster was completely shell-shocked for a moment, "Hey? Did everyone hear that? Goose, write it down!"

"Already done," Katherine replied, shutting her book again, having recorded the historical moment the moment it happened.

Jack smiled, feeling the power of the Guardian of Hope lifting his spirits. It was what they all needed, and Aster, of all people, gave it to them. It seemed strange to the winter spirit that such a skeptical person like the pooka was capable of such feats, but here they were.

"We must hurry to the Warren," North stated, "Everyone! To the sleigh!"

Aster shot them all an evil grin, "Ah no, mate. My Warren, my rules," he tapped his foot on the ground, "Buckle up!"

Jack hurriedly grabbed Katherine around the shoulder's pulling her to his chest.

North looked like a deer in headlights, "Shostakovich!"

The entire group plummeted down the pit that opened at their feet. It all happened so fast; a pair of the yetis and an elf were sucked in too.

Jack, thanks to his incredible balance and flying skills, surfed along the stone tunnels, all the while keeping Katherine from tumbling around like most of the others.

They all landed in a large clearing in Aster's home, an underground oasis temple hidden deep in the Australian outback. Aster was untouched, Tooth and Jack had managed to keep themselves balanced, and Katherine found herself suffocating into Jack's sweatshirt. 

Did Jack always smell like winter air?

"You smell nice, Jack," she observed boldly,

Jack flushed an obvious pink, quickly holding his hands from her but unable to pull away as she still held him. He was completely helpless, unable to think of a way to escape.

"Oi, no spring rabbits business in the Warren, Goose!" Aster scolded, unfazed by their display at this point.

"Spoilsport," Katherine grumbled, sparing Jack further embarrassment.

Aster's ears suddenly pricked up, causing him to look towards a nearby tunnel, "Something's up," he pulled out his boomerangs as a distant scream became audible to the others.

Everyone else got into an attack stance while several gargantuan stone eggs came to life, shifting into angry mode. Katherine tapped her cane to her book, causing the words to wrap around it and making it buzz with static electricity.

With a collective battle cry, they all charge the tunnel to meet the enemy.

The enemy revealed herself to be a three-year-old girl carrying an armful of sentient easter eggs...

"Sophie?" Jack exclaimed, recognizing Jamie Benett's younger sister.

Katherine snapped her book shut with a sharp crack, tugging her hat over her face, "Sing a song of sixpence!" she swore.

The others quickly hid their weapons behind their backs.

Sophie, true to her age, forgot all about them and began to chase down the poor elf that stood nearly half her size.

"What is she doing here?" Aster looked ready to have a stroke.

North quickly patted his coat, remembering he'd lost one of his special teleportation tools during his sleep adventure a while back, "Uh, snowglobe."

Katherine threw her hands in the air walking away from them all, "That's it! I'm done! I always tell you guys to be careful about your stuff, and does anyone listen to me? No!"

Aster looked around frantically, "Crikey! Somebody do something!"

Katherine was huddled in a corner, hugging her knees as she straight-up pouted, "I'm done bailing you out!"

Jack raised his hands helplessly, "Don't look at me! I'm invisible, remember?"

Tooth fluttered in, happy to take over, "Don't worry, Bunny!" she sang, "I think someone's a fairy fan~"

Sophie giggled happily at the fairy's colorful feathers and transparent wings, "Pretty!"

Tooth awed at the girl's compliment.

Katherine was muttering darkly in the corner, "Three... two... one..."

Tooth held out something in her hand towards Sophie, "I've got something for you~!" she opened he hand to show newly collected teeth, "Look at all the pretty teeth, all the blood and gum on them!"

Sophie screamed and ran in the opposite direction.

Jack watched to the whole proceeding in open amusement, "Blood and gums? When was the last time you hung out with kids?"

"Yesterday!" Katherine called out from her corner.

The other Guardians didn't have an answer.

"We are very busy bringing joy to children," North tried to explain, "We do not have time..." he paused, watching Sophie chase a butterfly, "For children?"

Jack secretly formed a single snowflake with his power, sending it fluttering on the wind, "If a single child is going to ruin Easter, we're in worse shape than I thought."

The snowflake hit Aster in the nose, affecting him with Jack's power to induce fun. The pooka's eye lit up as he stared down at the human girl with new enthusiasm.

Seeing Katherine's dejected state, Jack subtly sent another flake in her direction.

It was snatched from midair as she did not even bother looking. 

"Nice try, Frost," she turned around, showing the smile she'd been hiding, "But you've hit me once before."

Jack chuckled, striding up to her, cockily tapping his staff on his shoulder, "You know you loved it."

Katherine playfully thumped his chest with her book as she walked past him, "Among other things."

Jack felt that if he heated up any more, he'd melt.

The spring air of the Warren was making Katherine bold, revitalizing her youth in more ways than one.