Chapter 10

At the utterance of the word, the nightmares charged.

Sandy prepared to fling out his whips while Jack lifted his staff.

Katherine placed a hand over her book, an intense glow emitting from its pages as she made a twisting motion. She raised a clenched fist over her head, causing Pitch's eyes to widen. With a loud cry, she flung the contents of her hand to the ground.

A burst of gold light lit up the street as a dome of golden script surrounded her and her friends, erasing the nightmares that made contact with it. With another cry, Katherine swung an arm, causing the dome to rotate and expand, eliminating most of the nightmares within sight.

Pitch growled, snapping his fingers, summoning many more to replace the ones he'd lost.

The jingle of bells filled the air as North's sleigh flew overhead, carrying the dozing reinforcements. 

Katherine gasped as Sandy grabbed her and Jack, launching into the air to escape the wave of black sand that almost consumed them. 

"Hah!" Katherine swung an arm, bombarding the black tornado with a series of explosions but only managing to stem the flow.

Sandy flung Jack and Katherine away, pulling out his whips to take on the wave of nightmares.

Katherine landed on the sleigh, unleashing her full power as she flung a plethora of written scripts, her hand blurring as she tapped into her former prowess from ages past.

Jack used his staff to destroy the nightmares that attacked him, almost overwhelmed by the numbers until Aster and Toothiana joined the fight, each carving through the waves like finely hones blades.

North tied the reigns, standing up with a cheerful roar, swinging his cutlasses like windmills at any who dared approach.

A number of nightmares tried to attack the sleigh's blind spot, but they were suddenly blinded by a blast of light shot from Katherine before getting demolished by Jack.

By accident, Jack lost grip of his staff, suddenly going into free fall as he lost control of the wind. He yelped, snatching at his weapon desperately as he plummeted toward the ground.

Katherine seeing this, flipped a page, dragging her middle and forefingers across the worn surface and flicking her wrist. In a flash of movement, strange writing appeared on the staff, causing it to jump back into Jack's hands.

Jack shot a grateful look towards his savior but saw she was already busy, her finger tracing an almost runelike symbol of light before a flash disintegrated a charging nightmare.

She was joined by Aster as he leaped back onto the sleigh, his boomerang circling around continuously, cutting down anything that came near.

Tooth made her presence known, and she screamed her pent-up anger and frustration out, impaling nightmares in her fists and slicing them with her wings.

Further up in the sky, Sandy was keeping a swirling mass of black sand at bay with his whips, endlessly trying to purify them to no avail.

Jack flew up the sleigh, yelling to get North's attention, "We need to help Sandy!"

Katherine gazed upon the scene before her and suddenly made a decision, closing her eyes, "Take us closer, North. I'm using that."

North didn't question, trusting his comrade's decision with everything he had, "Right!"

Jack watched in awe as he saw Katherine spread her arms, her book levitating before her. When her eyes opened, they shone with an intense gray light.

"Kailash!"