Chapter 18

(A/N) Sorry for the delay!

Jack locked eyes with the snow goose, an apprehensive look on his face, "You can see me?"

Kailash blinked at him, then turned his head away, ignoring him.

A vein of anger appeared on Jack's forehead at the bird's dismissive nature, "Oh, so you're going to play dumb, huh?"

Kāthrīṉ, unaware of the interaction, took Kailash into her arms, "I will take Kailash to his chamber."

The high priest blew out the lamp, "Sleep well, Kāthrīṉ. We will continue your sibyl training tomorrow."

Jack was left alone in the darkened room with the late-night silence and the burning embers of the room's brazier. 

So, if these are Katherine's memories before she was a Guardian, why am I here? Jack frowned in the direction Kāthrīṉ had exited with Kailash. And what's with the goose? I thought Pitch said he could only absorb malice. Did the priest say foresight? 

He groaned and roughed up his hair in frustration, "Agh! What's going on?"

A faint silvery light poured in from the window. This drew his attention, and he frowned.

"Still playing around with me?" he spoke half-jokingly at the moon, "But I guess you always did have a point to whatever you do, huh."

As usual, he received no answer. 

Jack chuckled, waving a hand to try and harness his winter powers.

None...

"You never let it be easy, big man, but I'll bite," he clenched his fist, his eyes hardened in resolution, "I'll get her back. No matter what it takes."

"You can't keep ignoring me, you know!"

Kailash seemed to think otherwise.

"Why are you so grumpy, Kailash?" the sound of Kāthrīṉ cooing at the goose had Jack pouting out of jealousy.

The goose honked and nuzzled his caretaker fondly.

Unseen to her, Jack was leaning closer, his childish pout still present but apparent yearning as he watched every expression and action she made.