Chapter 16

Jack woke up to a ringing in his ears.

"Katherine!" he shot up, eyes wide with panic as his voice echoed through the crevice.

Receiving no response, he hurriedly searched for a way out but to no avail, as the walls were sheer, leaving him trapped without his staff. He did find a familiar figure lying a short distance away from him, next to the splinters of his staff.

"Baby Tooth!" Jack scooped up the tiny fairy, careful not to hurt her damaged wings.

Noting her shivering body, he tried to cup her in his hands but earned a small chirp of rebuke and a sneeze. It seemed that even with his source of power destroyed, he still ran too cold.

"Sorry," he apologized, "It seems all I can do is keep you cold," he looked sadly at the broken remains of his staff, "Pitch was right. I just make a mess of everything. I can't even help myself, much less anyone else."

Baby Tooth blinked at him. She crawled up his arm and over to the pocket of his hoodie.

Thinking she was trying to keep warm, Jack wrapped a protective arm around his stomach as he stood up.

"I have to get back up there," he muttered.

"Jack!"

The familiar voice emanating from his pocket caused Jack to jump, slipping and falling on his back.

"Jack!"

Jack pulled the tooth capsule from his pocket, staring at it before exchanging a mystified look with Baby Tooth.

The fairy placed a hand on the capsule, giving him an encouraging look.

Cautiously, Jack touched the capsule's surface, immersing himself in his memories.

Laughter... Warmth... Home...

A time when he lived a fulfilling life with his family.

Until that day...

"Jack... I'm scared!"

"Don't be! We're going to have a little fun!"

He'd saved his sister from certain death under the frozen pond using the stick he picked up.

Then the ice gave out beneath him.

"Jack!"

Everything went dark. Everything was cold. Jack was scared.

Then he saw the Moon, and suddenly, he wasn't afraid anymore.