Chapter 17

Ganderly was built like a maze with no rhyme or reason, but Jack trusted Baby Tooth's sense of direction. As they traveled through the endless corridors and vaulted staircases, he barely noticed the simplistic splendor of the building. 

He did notice, however, how the almost organic form seemed to lead them deep into recesses, similar to Katherine's mind. There was an ancient feel to it that was balanced by the sense of revived youth. Even with its current dilapidated state, the palace hosted immense treasures of knowledge, books, scrolls, artifacts, and antiques from times and eras even Jack didn't know existed.

It was like that single drop of the ocean had finally gained clarity for them to see.

Katherine stirred in Jack's arms, too tired to even make a sound of pain or discomfort. Her fingers clenched against the winter spirit's blue hoodie. Her hand slowly faded,  momentarily losing substance and passing through the worn cloth. 

Jack set his jaw upon seeing her arm dangle helplessly towards the floor and held her closer, "Just hang in there. We'll fix you up in no time..." he whispered, gazing down at her tenderly, "I promise."

The trio hurried up the final spiral staircase, the soft footfalls of Jack's feet echoing through the silent towers. Baby Tooth chirped at him, stopping at an elaborately decorated door with hand-carved ebony. 

The carving, enhanced with gold leaf, depicted a goose standing amid the ruins of a burning civilization. The bird's head was pointed toward the sky, its wings spread in a sign of defiance. At his feet, the figure of a fallen maiden lay, clearly having succumbed to the ravages of the surrounding flames. Rays of light shone upon the pair from the full moon standing in the smoke-blackened sky.

Jack felt uneasiness churn in his stomach at the image, "What is this place?"

Baby Tooth gave Jack a solemn look, gingerly pressing her hand against the wooden surface. For a moment, nothing happened as the tiny fairy seemed to concentrate. A moment later, the golden embossing of the door glowed, registering the remnant power of a Guardian present in the little tooth fairy.

The doors swung open quietly as if they never needed hinges. 

The revealed room was much older looking than the rest, made of stonelike materials Jack could not identify, the pale ivory surfaces built in an ancient architecture that one imagined the earliest civilizations would use. Letters, runes, symbols, and scripts of every era, type, and culture were carved into every crevice and corner. 

The only form of furniture in the room was the circular altar made of translucent moonstone. Its glass-like form reflected the adularescent rays of moonlight seeping in from the opening in the chamber ceiling.

Baby Tooth flew to the altar, chirping at Jack, and motioned for him to place Katherine upon it. He reluctantly did so, unsure of how this would help. Interlacing his fingers with her frail ones, he knelt by her side, waiting expectantly for something to happen. 

Please... Jack couldn't help but silently pray. Please... somebody help her...

Ironic now, after all these years, how it became clear to him that spirits, no how powerful or how they could even be regarded as omnipotent by mortals, were so frail and helpless.

As if an answer to his prayer, the silver light overheads brightened. Illuminating Katherine's weakened figure and Jack's humbled one.

My children.

No words were actually spoken, but the intent was clear as the altar glowed.

Things will be made right.