Chapter 5

The elevator platform stopped, allowing the pair to enter the North Pole's toy shop.

"Keep close," Katherine instructed, "Santa Claus does not like anyone to mess with his work."

Jack immediately started falling behind as he followed her through the many workstations, "Hang on! I've been trying to bust in here for years! I want a good look!" he called out, momentarily distracted by the colorful spectacle before him.

"That explains why everyone here seems to know you," Katherine replied, raising a hand in greeting a particularly large yeti, "Hello, Phil."

Phil noticed Jack and pounded a fist into his palm in warning.

Jack shot Phil a grin and avoided being run over by another yeti carrying an armload of toys, "I always thought the elves made the toys!"

Katherine leaned closer, whispering behind her hand, "North lets them think they do."

They both looked at the elves hook up one of their own to a series of lights in a failed attempt and shared a giggle.

"Just some advice, North will probably want those red," Katherine warned a yeti stacking a row of blue robots.

The yeti protested, looking at the countless robots he'd already painted blue.

"You seem to know a lot about this place," Jack observed, once more interested in how his friend seemed to know things.

Katherine shot him a secretive grin, tapping a finger to her nose, "Every spirit has a power, Jack. You may control the winter, but I rule the words of the written world. I have records to all of North's lists."

"Even the-"

"-Even the naughty list."

Katherine stopped in front of the massive door to North's office. She glanced over her shoulder at Jack, ensuring she had his full attention.

"But that's the least of my powers as a Guardian, just like how your control over ice is only part of what you are capable of," she accepted a teacup from a serving elf and offered it to Jack, "Tea?"

He shook his head.

Katherine returned the cup to the elves (she still didn't trust serving elves), nodding at them to go.

Jack leaned on his staff, tapping his finger awkwardly as they were left alone, "So... yeah..." he didn't want to ask, but deep down, he had to know.

How much of their relationship was a lie? Was any of it a lie? Was it all him? How could he ask any of these questions of the only friend he'd depended on for years?

Katherine removed her hat, placing it on the table so her entire face was visible. The light from the window behind her illuminated her figure, reminding Jack of the time they met.

"Are you mad?"

Those three words brought a lot of conflicting feelings to the surface. Jack honestly didn't know how he felt.

"Can I be mad?" 

Katherine didn't falter, deciding to be completely honest, just as she'd always been between them, "Technically, no. If you wanted to know about me, you only needed to ask."

Jack ran a hand through his hair, letting out an embarrassed chuckle, "I knew that. I never did ask, did I?"

"Even timeless spirits need to accept change, Jack," Katherine stated, addressing the flaw in their relationship.

With his endless future of not being seen or believed in, Jack had been afraid of affecting his only source of stability. In an act of weakness, he'd never made an effort for them to grow closer. He'd share his pain but never wanted to know about her secrets. Katherine was equally guilty of letting their relationship continue as it was. They both knew what had gone wrong but had never been forced to address it until now.