Chapter 13

Never had the Warren experienced such a sight. 

The Guardians made themselves busy painting the eggs and entertaining Sophie. Even though the shadow of loss had fallen over them, the little girl's presence, too young to separate this reality from a dream, brought comfort and new life to them.

They poured all their feelings and hopes into their work, determined to make the new spring even brighter than any in years past.

By the end of the day, billions of eggs were ready and already heading down the underground tunnels leading to the surface.

Aster had grown particularly fond of Sohpie, finding her never-ending excitement at her surroundings a joy to watch. While never absent in his life, the borderline parental instinct as a Guardian was stronger than ever as he remembered what drove him to accept his role all those years ago.

With the most demanding part of his job complete, Aster hunkered down on a grassy slope with the three-year-old, pointing out the different eggs for her, sharing the secrets of spring as he'd seldom shared before.

At some point, Jack joined them, crouching down to their level, sharing their view of the eggcellent migration.

Come on, reader, that pun wasn't funny.

"Not bad," Jack complimented, for once showing legitimate respect towards the Easter Bunny after seeing the passion he displayed in his work.

Aster gently scooped a yawning Sophie into her arms, giving Jack a smile, "Not bad, yourself."

Just one look conveyed understanding between them. Aster was fully aware that Jack had used his power on him, but instead of irritation, he felt grateful. After centuries of nonstop work, to be able to experience the hope and joy of Childhood up close once again was a gift. A gift for all the Guardians.

Aster was now beginning to understand what the Moon had seen in Jack and what Katherine had seen.

"Just be sure to treat her well, mate," Aster couldn't help but nudge Jack with his elbow, "She's a treasure in herself."

Jack tried to play innocent, "Who?"

Aster snorted, "You daft well know who, yuh spindly snowcone."

Jack looked mildly offended, "Hey, I never called you a Kangaroo!"

"That had better be an accent, mate."

They broke out into shared chuckles.

Aster looked down as he realized Sophie had fallen asleep, "Ah, poor little ankle biter. All tuckered out."

"I think it's time to take her home," Tooth told them, holding out her arms to grab the little girl.

Jack stood up, eager to help, "I'll take her!"

Tooth looked worried, "Jack, no! Pitch is out there!"

Jack held out his staff, a determined look on his face, "No match for this."

"Which is why we need you here," Aster pointed out in concern, "With us."

"Trust me!" Jack assured them, making a running motion with his finger to emphasize his point, "I'll be as quick as a bunny!"

Katherine placed a hand on Aster's shoulder, letting him know it was okay, "We can handle things until he gets back."

Her words convinced the others as Sophie was handed off to Jack.

"I'll be back soon," Jack promised her.

"I know you will," Katherine cupped her hand, forming a small goose-shaped charm with her words, "Just a reminder to keep that promise of yours."