History Repeating

Gracie giggles as Lexi chases her in the garden "I'm gonna get you

Gracie giggles as Lexi chases her in the garden "I'm gonna get you." Lexi grins, Gracie squealing as she's grabbed and tickled. "Aunt Lexi!" she giggles. "How about we go find a snack?" Lexi asks. "Otay." Gracie nods, Lexi carrying her inside. "Stefan told me you'd stuck around." Damon says s they get to the kitchen. Gracie smiles and makes grabby hands at Damon, making him take her from Lexi "Yeah, well, I wanted to spend some time with my best friend and niece." Lexi tells him, grabbing an apple and beginning to cut it up. Damon smiles as Gracie cuddles into him "Comfy Princess?" he asks. "Mhm." Gracie hums. Lexi watches with a slight smile as she putts the apple slices in a bowl "You going to tell me your plan?" she asks. "If I'm not telling Stefan, why would I tell you?" Damon asks, taking the bowl and giving it to Gracie. "Thought I'd try." Lexi shrugs. Damon kisses Gracie's head and sits her on the counter by Lexi before walking out "Bye bye Uncle Damey." Gracie waves. "Bye Princess." Damon responds, not noticing the smile on Lexi's face as she watches. "You might be his redemption." Lexi tells Gracie, the toddler munching on her apple slices.

Later that day Gracie sits in her dad's arms as he goes to see Elena "Hey. Thanks for coming. I wouldn't have called if it wasn't important." Elena tells him, opening the door. "I know that." Stefan responds. Elena steps onto the porch and pulls the door closed behind her, explaining what happened between Bonnie and Damon "He threatened her, Stefan." she finishes. "What would Damon want with Bonnie?" Stefan asks, watching Gracie play on the grass. "She has this necklace. Caroline got it from Damon, and she gave it to Bonnie, and now Damon wants it back. He's tormenting her." Elena explains. "Over a necklace?" Stefan frowns. "It's not just any necklace. It has to do with Bonnie's heritage. It belonged to one of her ancestors who lived here during the Civil War... When you and Damon lived here." Elena realises. "Her name was Emily. She was Katherine's handmaiden, and a witch." Stefan explains uncomfortably. "You know? About Bonnie?" Elena asks in surprise. "The first night that you invited me over for dinner, I made the connection." Stefan tells her. "And now Damon knows, and for some reason he wants that necklace." Elena sighs. "What does it look like?" Stefan asks. "It's an antique iron setting with a-" Elena starts. "-with an amber crystal. I know it. It belonged to Katherine. Emily gave it to her, which means that..." Stefan finishes, trailing off at the end. "What?" Elena asks. "I don't know, but I'm gonna find it out. Let me talk to Damon." he tells her. "Will he tell you?" she asks. "I'll get it out of him." Stefan assures her. Gracie runs over with her teddy in her arms as Stefan stands "Daddy, we going?" she asks. "Yeah, come on, I'll get you cheesy fries." Stefan smiles. "Yay!" Gracie smiles, sending Elena a wave as Stefan picks her up.

Stefan sits Gracie on a bar stool as he talks to Damon "So, Stefan...You know, I've been thinking. I think we should start over, give this brother thing another chance. We used to do it, oh-so well, once upon time." Stefan mimics. "I don't, Damon. I can't trust you to be a nice guy. You kill everybody, and you're so mean. You're so mean, and... You're really hard to imitate, and then I have to go to that lesser place..." Damon responds. "Can I get a coffee, black currant squash and a bowl of cheesy fries, please?" Stefan asks the bartender before turning to Damon "So, what's with the bottle?" he asks. "I'm on edge. Crash diet. You know, I'm trying to keep a low profile." Damon responds. "You could always just leave, find a new town to turn into your own personal Gas 'n' Sip." Stefan tells him. "I'll manage. You don't have to keep an eye on me." Damon says. "I'm not here to keep an eye on you." Stefan responds. "So, why are you here?" Damon asks. "Why not?" Stefan counters. Gracie makes grabby hands at Damon, making her Uncle pick her up "Hey Princess." he greets. "Hi Uncle Damey." she responds, playing with the zip of his jacket.

Grabbing the cheesy fries and drinks, the three Salvatore's go over to the darts. Gracie sits happily eating her fries as her dad and Uncle play darts "Lucky shot." Damon tells Stefan. "More like a carefully honed skill over many decades." Stefan responds. "You're beating me." Damon says. "Yeah. It's because I'm better than you." Stefan tells him. "I'm onto you. Reverse psychology. It's a little transparent, but I admire the effort." Damon remarks. "You prefer the brooding forehead?" Stefan asks. "Seriously, what game do you think you're playing?" Damon asks him. "That's a funny question considering the fact that I have been asking you that for months. It's frustrating isn't it?" Stefan responds. "Touché." Damon tells him, stealing one of Gracie's fries. Gracie glares at him "Rude." she tells him. "Am I not allowed to share my favourite niece's food?" Damon asks. "...no." Gracie responds,Stefan stifling a chuckle.

The three of them head to the school football field "What are we doin' here?" Damon asks. "Bonding. Catch! Go on. Give it a try." Stefan responds, chucking a football to Damon. Gracie giggles and starts running around the field, her hair flying everywhere. "Don't forget who taught you how to play this game." Damon tells Stefan, the two of them beginning to play with their vampire speed. Stefan tackles Damon making him groan "That hurt." he tells him. "Downside of my diet, getting hit actually hurts a little bit." Stefan tells him. "I'm impressed Stefan. Fun with booze and darts, sentimental with football, and now? Starry night. What do you want, Stefan?" Damon asks. "It wasn't real, Damon. Our love for Katherine. She compelled us. We didn't have a choice. Took me years to sort that out, to truly understand what she did to us." Stefan responds. Damon gets off the floor "Oh, no, Stefan. We are not takin' that on tonight." he tells his brother, beginning to walk off. "What do you want with Katherine's crystal?" Stefan asks. "How do you know about that?" Damon counters. "Come on. You knew Elena would tell me." Stefan tells him. "How do you know it was Katherine's? Emily gave it to her on her last night. I was with her, and you weren't." Damon says. "I was the last one to see her, Damon. Now, what do you want with Katherine's crystal?" Stefan asks. "She didn't tell you?" Damon asks him. "We had other things on our mind." Stefan responds.

Damon vamp speeds over to Stefan and gets in his face "I could rip your heart out and not think twice about it." he threatens. "I've heard that before." Stefan smirks. "I have a bigger surprise, Stefan. I'm gonna bring her back." Damon says, slowly backing away. "How can you bring Katherine back?" Stefan asks. "Before Katherine and the others were killed in the church, you remember what it was like in this town?" Damon asks. "I remember the fear and the hysteria." Stefan responds. "Townspeople were killing vampires one by one. When they came for Katherine, I went straight to Emily, said,"I'll do anything. Name your price. Just protect her." She did." Damon tells him. "How?" Stefan asks. "She did some kind of spell with the crystal. And while the church was burning, and we thought Katherine was burning in it, she wasn't." Damon explains. "But I saw her go inside..." Stefan trails off. "There's a tomb underneath the church. The spell sealed Katherine in that tomb, protecting her." Damon tells him. "Are you telling me that Katherine's alive?" Stefan asks. "If that's what you wanna call it. She's been trapped in a mystical holding cell for the last century and a half, but you're an expert on starving a vampire, so how do you think she's doing, Stefan? Did you know that witches can use celestial events to draw energy into their magic? Me either. But in order to give the crystal its power, Emily used the comet that was passing overhead. And, in order for that crystal to work again..." Damon starts. "The comet had to return." Stefan realises.

"Downside? Long time in between comets. And, a couple of hiccups along the way with the crystal, but the comet passed, and I got the crystal. And then Caroline got the crystal, and now Bonnie has the crystal, and here we are." Damon tells him. "Why would Emily...? Why would she do this for you?" Stefan asks. "Because she knew they were gonna come for her, too, and she made me promise that her lineage would survive." Damon explains. "I remember. You saved her children." Stefan nods. "It's the only thing keeping me from ripping that little Bonnie girl's throat out to get my crystal back. Oh well, a deal's a deal. So...you wanna go throw some more?" Damon asks. Gracie speeds over giggling at the use of her speed "Daddy, I faster!" she grins. Stefan smiles and picks her up "Yeah? Think you can beat me to the goal?" he asks. "Yeah!" Gracie nods. "Okay." Stefan tells her, putting her on her feet next to him "Ready. Steady. Go." he says. Gracie speeds as fast as she can, Stefan following her slower so she can win "I beat you! I beat you daddy!" she giggles. "You did, you're super fast now." Stefan tells her, picking her up and throwing her in the air before catching her. Gracie puts her arms round his neck and cuddles into him "Love you daddy." she tells him. "Love you too Gracie." Stefan responds, kissing her head.