The Sacrifice

(A/N: The timeline is sped up a bit (cutting some stuff and adding a few bits) and I'm changing some of the story to fit better with who Gracie is 😏 It's mainly going to be so Damon and Stefan trust Elijah and don't dagger him, aswell as Klaus arriving earlier)

Gracie sits in her dad's arms as he walks down into the tomb with Damon and Lexi "Let's do it." Damon says. Stefan nods and passes Gracie over to Lexi before helping Damon move the stone away from the the entrance of the tomb. The brothers lean against the wall, Katherine walking round the corner looking hungry "Please...come on in. There's plenty of room for all of us." she tells them. "I'd rather poke my eyes out." Damon retorts. "Mmm, they're such pretty eyes." Katherine says. "We're here for the moonstone." Stefan tells her. "Feel like tossing it over?" Damon asks. "Tell you what, you get your little witch to hocus pocus me out of here, you can have whatever you want." Katherine says, pointing at Gracie. "I thought you liked it in here. Nice and safe where Klaus can't get to you." Stefan glares, protectively standing in front of Gracie. "I've had time to reconsider." Katherine tells him. "Meaning you're hungry." Damon says. "I'm starving, Damon. And dirty. But above all, I'm bored. At least running from Klaus wasn't boring, so here's the deal: you get me out of here, you get the moonstone and I'll disappear from Mystic Falls forever." Katherine tells them walking over, using the wall for support. The brothers look at each other, Katherine walking away "Let me know what you decide." Katherine tells them, holding up the moonstone as she stumbles back round the corner.

Elena opens the front door. "Hey. Uh, can we talk?" Stefan asks. "Why?" Elena asks. "We went to see Katherine." Damon responds. "Come on in." Elena nods, letting them in. They walk to the kitchen and stand round the island, Stefan sitting Gracie on the counter next to him "You don't believe her, do you?" Elena asks as they finish explaining what Katherine said. "No, of course not. We just want the moonstone." Damon responds. "According to Rose's friend Slater, there's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break." Stefan explains. "No spell, no doppelgänger sacrifice. Ergo, you live." Lexi tells her. "How do you destroy it?" Elena asks. "By releasing it from the moonstone." Stefan explains. "How do you guys even know this is gonna work?" Elena points out. "Cause we have a crafty witch on our side." Damon tells her. "You discussed it with Bonnie." she realises. "I meant Gracie but yes, we discussed with Bonnie too." Damon responds. "She agreed to do anything she could to help us." Stefan tells Elena, talking about Bonnie. "It's Katherine who has the moonstone. She's not gonna give it to you." Elena says. "We're gonna get it from her." Stefan responds. "Well, what he means to say is, we will pry it from her cold, dead hand if we have to." Damon reiterates.

"Bonnie just needs to find a way to release the seal long enough for us to get in, get the moonstone, and get out in time for her to return it." Stefan explains. "Wow. I mean, it sounds like you guys already have it all planned out." Elena tells them. "Yep. We're awesome." Damon smiles. "Except for one thing. I don't want you to do it." Elena says. "What are you talking about? Elena, we don't have a choice." Stefan frowns. "What about Klaus?" she asks. "We'll find him right after we get the moonstone." Stefan responds. "Is that before or after he kills everyone that I care about, including the three of you." Elena asks, Gracie looking down. Lexi frowns, pulling Gracie into her arms "Elena, if we can de-spell the moonstone, we can save your life." Stefan tells her. "I know. Everybody keeps saying that." Elena responds, walking out the room. "I'm leaving, Gracie is coming with me." Lexi tells the brothers. "Where you going?" Damon asks. "Somewhere Gracie is included." Lexi responds, walking out the house. "What do you mean?" Stefan asks, following them with Damon.

"Did you not hear what happened in there? What's been happening for months?" Lexi asks. Stefan looks at her puzzled "Elena is completely ignoring Gracie, she has been for ages Stefan." Damon tells him. "No, she hasn't." Stefan retorts. "She has, ever since you and Gracie were taken by the tomb vampires." Lexi says. Stefan shakes his head "We'll talk about this later, I need to massage Bonnie." he tells them. Lexi and Damon look at each other "Come on, we better head back ourselves." Damon sighs. "First, I need to show you something. You're not allowed to get angry though." Lexi tells him. "Depends, what is it?" Damon asks. "Damon." Lexi warns. "Fine" he tells her. "Good, come on." Lexi smiles, grabbing Damon's hand and dragging him to the car. "Where we going?" Damon asks, climbing into drivers seat. "The next town over." Lexi responds, sitting Gracie in her car seat before climbing in herself.

Damon pulls up at a park, Gracie's face lighting up when she sees Elijah on a bench "Lexi." Damon says. "it's alright Damon, I couldn't tell you before about him but I can now. You can trust him." Lexi tells him. "You can Unca Damey. Grammy said he good." Gracie smiles. Damon sighs but nods "Okay." he concedes, getting out he car and grabbing his niece out the back. Gracie wriggles out of Damon's grip and runs over to Elijah "Hello Elijah." she smiles. "Hello Gracelynn, it's good to see you again." Elijah smiles, crouching down to her level. Gracie smiles "We bought Unca Damey with us, everyone say he naughty but he not. Katherine was just a Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins." she tells him. Elijah chuckles "Is she?" he asks. "Mhm." Gracie nods in all seriousness. "Katherine has the moon stone, we're trying to get it from her but she trapped in the tomb." Lexi tells Elijah. "I'll see what I can do." Elijah tells her. "I can help." Gracie smiles. "I'll tell you if we need your help, thank you Gracelynn." Elijah tells the toddler, making her smiles happily. Lexi smiles "How about we go to the park so we can talk while you have a play?" she suggests. "Otay Auntie Lexi." Gracie smiles.

Damon smiles as Gracie plays in the park "Why are you here? And why are you interested in Gracie?" he asks Elijah. "I need help getting my family back. As for Gracelynn, I mean her no harm, it turns out she could be someone important to me and my family. She talks to a witch we were all close to." Elijah explains. Damon nods, smiling as Gracie waves at them from the top of the climbing frame "What do you need?" Lexi asks. "I've sent word to Klaus that I've found a descendent of Ariadne, he will want to meet her. She will be completely safe, I assure you. As I said my family and I were close to Ariadne and would never do anything to hurt her or her family." Elijah tells them. "What then?" Lexi frowns. "I will help Gracelynn find a spell so Elena will survive the sacrifice, Klaus will agree to this as long as he breaks his curse." Elijah responds. "Why Gracie?" Damon asks. "I'm sure you're becoming aware of how powerful she is, she comes from a line of the most powerful witches in history." Elijah responds. Damon nods "we should tell Stefan what's happening so he doesn't try to get the moonstone off of Katherine alone." he tells Lexi. "I'll go call him." she nods.