017. | MISERY

017. | MISERY
— AFTER HOURS, LANDO NORRIS

The sound of a soft pounding on the door reverberated through the Norris family home, jolting the exhausted residents from their slumber. It was well past midnight, and the weight of another rainy day at the karting track had left the family in a state of complete exhaustion.

As twelve-year-old Lando wearily made his way to the fridge, to grab a (not given permission for by his trainer) midnight-snack, it was safe to say he was left dumbfounded when he heard a knock coming from his front door.

With each step, the soft pounding grew louder, teasing Lando's senses. It felt like the opening scene of a horror movie, where a young teenager's curiosity led them down a path of terror.

But for some reason Lando had a gut feeling, and even though the people at home in front of the TV would probably be screaming at him not to open the door, he decided to follow through with his gut.

"Emery! What the hell are you doing out here?" Lando exclaimed, flinging open the door to reveal his well-known brunette friend.

Emery stood before him, tears welling in her eyes, yet determined not to let them fall. She averted his gaze, looking up at the sky, blinking rapidly to keep the tears at bay.

In that moment, Lando understood that something was gravely wrong. Emery's presence at his doorstep in the dead of night spoke volumes about the problems she must be facing at home.

Though their conversations had hinted at her less-than-ideal living situation, the urgency of her visit at this hour signaled a depth of despair he hadn't fully grasped.

"Could I uh, possibly stay here for a while?" Emery's voice trembled, her vulnerability visible. She shuddered slightly, attempting to collect herself but struggling against the weight of her emotions.

Avoiding eye contact, she feared the exposure that might come from meeting Lando's gaze.

Without hesitation, Lando responded, his voice filled with unwavering support, "Of course, always." Stepping aside, he gestured for Emery to enter the house.