10

𝘑𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘦
_______________

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘰𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘥𝘦 at Starr Gove Alternative; for a reason the new student didn't know. She assumed it was because of a football game happening later tonight and Joule stood in the midst of it by herself—the instruments loud and students chanting the school's name rhythmically.

The once high-ponytail her tresses were styled in was cascading down her back at arm-pit length with the left side pushed behind her shoulder and showcasing the stud earring in her earlobe. It was a pink-out day for the classmates and faculty and Joule must have missed the memo since she felt like the odd person wearing a brown faux leather motorcycle jacket over a olive green top scalloped pineapple crochet bodice and high-rise skate jeans; slip-on white Vans skate shoes.

Approaching up behind the cheerleaders was the football team in their emerald green and gold varsity jackets. The closer the jocks came, Joule swallowed and the same eyes that watched her on her first day in the two classes they share, was moving in amongst the other players. The specific player's eyes was syrupy amber brown and he stood out with his bright blonde hair against his dark, ebony suede skin tone. Before Joule was able take a better look at his features, her nerves got the best of her and looked away.

The jock sensed her anxiety, releasing a quiet chuckle as he walked by and leaving behind a warm and robust fragrance breezing off his body. Joule swallowed, peering over her shoulder to the player just to find his eyes were still on her until he turned the corner.

"Somebody's gotta crruusshh!" The sing-song voice makes Joule face forward and found that her classmate Solan and her friend Roven.

Solan changed from her platinum blonde to a ash pink 30-inch straight lace-front wig in support of the breast cancer PINK OUT day. Standing to Solan's side was her openly gay best friend Archie that held a peanut skin-tone, and the same five-foot-four height as Solan. Senior, Archie Edwards was extremely attractive and Joule felt herself possibly having a crush on him her first day the two met with Solan. But Joule realized Archie was into his own gender after he announced how tight a football players backside looked in his jeans.

That crush was crushed.

"Wha...No."

"Ohh, don't be shy. It's a'ight to crush on D3." Solan told her, "He one of the finest dudes in this school. You wanna sit with us out in the courtyard? This shit gonna be going on for the next thirty minutes. Might as well get some vitamin D in the process."

Joule agreed to walk out into the sunny courtyard with Solan and Archie. There were only a few other students scattered at tables. They sat on the dark green expanded metal picnic table; Joule sitting on the bench seat while Archie and Solan seated on the table.

"So, their just gonna let us miss our fifth and part of our sixth period for a hallway parade?" Joule asked.

"Every year," Archie responded, "But trust me, the teachers gonna make sure we receive the homework after."

"Of course." Joule chuckled, "Why..do y'all call him D3?"

"Davon 'Dash' Dawson," Solan revealed, "We call him Dash because he fast on the field and court. He always Varsity on football and basketball wit a couple other players. He not like the typical jocks, though. He notta cocky, asshole. He talk to everybody and don't feel cheerleaders the only girls he gotta date. Homie actually dated a chick for two years you'd never think he would look at. Guess he ain't gotta type."