20

𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐋
_______________

"Shona Mills?"

      Nearing her Chevy Impala, the social worker stopped at the sound of her name, looking over to three apparent detectives approaching her and the lady in the front she recognized from months back after the Preston's double homicide. "Detective Childs?" She remembered, "What can I do for you?"

      "A major favor." Akil approached, rocking a plain t-shirt tucked into her Levi's 711 skinnies and her flat booties hitting the pavement. "You've spoken with Joule Preston recently?"

      "Yesterday. She called me in a panic while I was outta town on vacation and put it on her having a bad day." Shona responds with her look of concern, "Is their something actually wrong?"

      "There is, but it's something I can't reveal right now. My favor is for Joule. I need you to drive to Gove City and grab Joule's things while she's at school. If her foster mother asks, just put it on you manger to connect with an aunt outta town that's willing to take her."

      "Uhm.. yeah, okay. I can do that." Shona believed.

      "Ms. Mills," Edi speaks, "it's very important that you maintain normal behavior. If you usually have tea or conversation with the foster mother, do that. Don't give her any sign that you might be hiding something."

      "Joule's life depends on it," Luke adds.

      Shona nods, "I can do it. What do I do after getting her stuff?"

      "You call me and we will go from there." Akil told her.

      That was the detectives plan, and 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗛𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗦 𝗟𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗥 that led to Akil being pulled to the side by her lieutenant, while the other detectives kept the seventeen-year-old occupied..

      "Think we can go to the Police Commissioner now that we have a witness?" Akil asked Darnell.

      "Not yet." Darnell denied, "We need way more evidence than her just hearing him. If this Mook is blood-kin to her foster mother, it's time to start knocking on doors for answers. We need to run birth records on the mother to find out how many kids she had."

      "On it. Still don't want us to question Warren? He could–"

      "No," Darnell interrupted her. "There will be no questioning of a fellow officer. Am I still clear on that, Detective?"

      "Crystal."

      "Wes and me will be on watch duty tonight. You three get some answers."

"Yes sir."

      Akil and Darnell returns over to everyone else as Joule asked, "So, what exactly do I do about school? I'm not tryna flunk out my senior year."

      "I'll handle getting you your work, Joule." Wes offered.

      "And in between time, you're gonna be here with Darnell and Wes, while we go get some answers that'll help. You comfortable with that?" Akil asked, making Joule nod her head. "I assue you're with the best team right now. All five of us, we're your barricade. To even get to you they'd have to pass us."

      Joule smiled softly, feeling a sense a genuine security.

      "Before we go," Luke starts, "can you remember anybody that might know Mook? A friend, possible girlfriend,"