ONE

Blake Holly

I panted loudly as I carried the last box to my car. This was totally my fault for procrastinating because now I had to pack and move three huge boxes of my belongings all the way to my car. To be fair, I did uphold my promise to Vee and spent the last 3 days at her house so I didn't really have a chance to pack anyways. We said our goodbyes and of course, she cried again and then cried when I got in the car. I love that girl so much. Even though I was her only friend and vice versa, everybody still loved Vee. She was drop-dead gorgeous, kind as ever, talented, but super shy. I was hoping that she would take this opportunity to showcase her amazing qualities and make a friend or two. I knew it wouldn't be hard for her, she just never tried.

My mom was just sitting at the dining room table and she had been looking at me walking back and forth with sad eyes for a good hour now. I tried not to look at her because I know if I did there was a chance I would unload the entire car and say fuck it. I was so scared. Scared of leaving her here all by herself, who was going to take care of her? I mean half the town heard about what happened and they wanted nothing to do with us. I knew once I left, she would have nobody and be shunned by the entire town population.

I dusted my hands off and took a seat by her but she just continued looking down.

"That's the last of it mom..." I leaned closer and rubbed her back. It's like as soon as I rubbed her back she began sobbing uncontrollably and there goes the sound of my heart breaking. Again. It was kind of like when your already in a shitty mood and somebody asks "are you okay?" and you just break down. Yeah, like that.

I hugged her tight and long and ran my fingers through her hair. She clutched onto my shirt for dear life but eventually began to calm down.

"I'm sorry Blake...I knew this day was coming...It's just..." She sighed and wiped her eyes

"I'm going to miss you so much Bunny"

"I know mom and I swear I'll visit every chance I get. I'm so scared of leaving you here by yourself..."

"Dont worry about me Bunny, I'll be fine. I promise" It's like when she said 'I promise' she was promising me that the past is exactly what it is. The past. She was promising me that she would never put herself in harms way again. Promising me it wouldn't get bad again. Promising me that she would be fine.

It felt good to hear her say that but of course, I couldn't help but worry.

11:27 am

I checked my phone and it was time for me to get a move on. Student move-in/ orientation started at 3:00pm and I wanted to get there right on time if not a little bit early.

My mom must've seen the way I looked when I checked the time and she got up holding her arms out to give me one last final hug.

"Go Bunny, Call me as soon as you get there okay? I love you so much"

I nodded and hugged her tight again. I love this woman so much.

I closed the trunk of my car and made my way to the driver's side. As I pulled off I saw my mom waving goodbye and blowing kisses, I smiled and blew one back and drove off until my neighborhood was far behind me.

There was one person I had to stop and say goodbye to though.

I pulled up to his house and as soon as I parked my car I began nervously sweating and getting hot. I took a deep breath to calm myself down before I slowly made my way to the front door.

I had to do this. He saved my life.

I gave the door three knocks and not long after the door swung open and there he stood.