[25]

"Murphy?" 

Shock hit me right in the chest as I stared down at him. Blood covered his body, making him almost unrecognisable. The shock faded and memories crashed through my head, Charlotte's small body in my arms, tears streaming down my face, her small hands cold and stiff. Rage clouded my thoughts. 

Murphy cowered away from us, turning to hide his head. 

"You low-life, piece of shit!" I growled and before anyone could blink, I lunged tackling him to the ground. He tried his best to fend me off but in his state it was futile. Tears welled in my eyes. "Jus drein jus duan" I hissed, and my nose started to burn. 

"How dare you show your face here!" Hands gripped my arms and yanked me backwards. Clarke and Bellamy were yelling but their words were lost on me. I stared at Murphy, his once cocky facade reduced to this cowering boy, beaten and bloodied yet I felt no remorse. 

His eyes met mine and all I saw was a frail little boy, burdened by the guilt and shame from all that he has done. At that moment my resolve dispersed and I stopped struggling, the hands dropped from my arms and I slipped to the floor beside Murphy. Tears slid down my cheeks as I looked at him, so close to death from days of torture. 

"I am sorry" I whispered. He looked up, confusion clouding his face. Before I could utter anything else, I was once again ripped away from him, arms wrapped around my middle. 

"What the hell are you doing, doll? He's dangerous" Bellamy growled, glowering down at me.      "No, he is not, He is hurt." 

"He deserves to die!" 

"No. We have all done things that we regret and that we can never take back. Nobody deserves to die."  He searched my face, trying to find any inkling that I was kidding, that I was on his side. Betrayal clouded his eyes and he let me go, taking a step back, then another and another until he was exiting the Dropship. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was sitting up in a tree just outside the camp gates, my shirt bunched in my hands as I let my wings rustle in the breeze. I had yet to approach Bellamy after the Murphy incident and he showed no interest in talking to me, any thought of our interaction beforehand had been forgotten. It hurt me that he could forget all about us at the drop of a hat, but he just needs time. 

My train of thought was interrupted as I heard a commotion in the camp, sighing I stood on my brach and pushed off, soaring down towards the sky kids. 

Clarke was on her knees in front of Murphy, asking questions about his escape. Sensing the urgency of the situation I pulled my shirt over my head to cover my wings and stalked forward to Clarke's side. 

"What's going on?" I questioned settling myself next to Murphy, only to be immediately yanked away by Raven.  "He has a disease and it's spreading" She cautioned. Realisation dawned on me. 

"Biological warfare" I Whispered. 

"What?" I looked at Clarke. "Biological warfare. My sister talked to me about it when I still lived at Polaris. It is a well-used tactic for us grounders, weakens the opposing side" I explain. As I finish my statement, blood begins to drip from Clarke's nose, and Murphy starts coughing up blood. 

Bellamy exits his tent, storming over towards the commotion. without a glance at me, he moves towards Clarke, attempting to grab her arm. 

"Bellamy, stay back!" she warns him off, stepping backwards. "Did he do something to you?" His expression is stormy as he stares down at Murphy and I know it's wrong but jealousy settles low in my stomach as he watches Clarke worriedly, yet to have looked my way. I steel myself against the feeling and move to grab Murphy off the ground. 

"Blue, don't you'll get sick." I simply wave her off and continue, crouching at his side. Murphy looks up at me, his head lulling to the side and attempts to smile but it comes across as more of a grimace. "Let's get you back inside," I whisper, soothingly and place a gentle hand under his arm. sorrow hits me hard in the chest as he flinches away in pain. 

"What the hell is this?" Bellamy demands from behind me, anger dripping from his voice. "Biological warfare. You were waiting for the Grounders to retaliate for the bridge? This is it. Murphy is the weapon." Clarke explains. 

I hear someone moving closer and swing around as Bellamy points accusingly at Murphy.  "Is this your revenge, helping the Grounders kill us?" he almost shouts. I glare at him and stand up, blocking him from Murphy's crumpled form. 

"I didn't know about this, okay, I swear." He wheezes from behind me, pain evident in his voice. I glance over my shoulder. "Don't talk if it's too painful. You do not owe an explanation yet." I tell him before turning back to face Bellamy. He looks betrayed but quickly hides it behind a glare. 

"Murphy, think, all right? What can you tell us that's useful? Did you hear anything?" Clarke asks, a lot calmer than her sky king counterpart. "They are vicious, cruel." I wince at his reply, the way that they speak of my people is still hurtful after all this time. 

"You want to see vicious?" Bellamy seethes. My gaze cuts to him, icy and dark. He winces slightly, turning away. 

Finn comes running through the camp, straight from Clarke. She tries to warn him away but it is no use. As they converse I turn my gaze to Raven. There is a pain in her eyes as she watches them and it is then that I remember their complicated relationship. I gave her a sympathetic look and walked over, grabbing her hand and squeezing it. she shot me a grateful smile and turned back to the scene in front of us. I returned to my post in front of Murphy and tuned back into the conversation. 

"Hey, don't touch me. You could get sick. Wash your hands. Now." Clarke stepped farther away from Finn. attempting to put more distance between them.  All of a sudden Derek started sputtering for breath and dropped to the floor. He convulsed for a few seconds before going completely still. 

"is he-" 

"He's dead" Clarke confirmed solemnly.  She grabbed a cup of moonshine from one of the onlookers and poured it over Finn's hand to kill the bacteria. 

"What do we do now?" 

"Quarantine. Round everyone up who was in contact with Murphy and get them into the Dropship." Clarke ordered. People started filing in as I lifted Murphy from the ground and moved him inside.  

I exited after finding a comfortable spot for Murphy to lie down and setting a cloth in front of him to collect the blood. Stepping back onto the ground I came face to face with Bellamy. He was Standing a few feet away from me, a lazy smirk on his face as he conversed with one of the female sky kids. As I continued to watch, she giggled at something he said and my stomach dropped as she reached out and laid her hand on his arm. 

I back up too fast, and trip over a log, bumping into one of the sky kids that was exiting the Dropship. Both of us toppled over knocking a pile of wood over in the process. 

"Oh god, I am so sorry!" I apologised to the kid and quickly jumped up, pulling him up with me. He gave me a small smile and walked away. 

I spun back around only to come face to face with Bellamy, staring at me from across the camp, The girl's hand still resting on his arm.  I didn't wait long enough to figure out what the look in his eyes meant before I whipped my shirt over my head and took off into the sky, a faint call of my name ringing in my ears. 

I need to figure out something better than taking my shirt off.