Ps. The first 3 chapters are bad, im aware. Not gonna lie, they are complete ass. But just read them, push through bc it gets a LOT better.  But from 4 and on, i start to actually understand where im going with the story LMAO

y/n pov

"Mornin, Hank." I yell out, greeting my partner in crime. Well... The opposite, actually.

"Well you look like shit."

He always knows how to treat me up, doesn't he?

"Ok well, you need a haircut so shut the fuck up." I mumble, pursing my lips at him. Settling my bags onto my desk, the clinking and clacking echoing.

These are usually how my mornings at the office go.

Coffee, (or even better , scotch) Hanks annoying ass, and a fresh new case. I usually work on the more personal, fucked, psychopath cases, because I have a good way of... empathizing with people.

Well, that's what they think. I don't care about them, I just don't wanna work with Gavin.

Sitting down, not even the slightest bit ready to start the day, I hear the disgusting voice of Mr. Reed behind me. "Morning beautiful."

Speak of the devil.

"Piss off you fuck-face." I turn to him. "Your hair is really frizzy." His eyes flicker at me for a moment, confused. When he doesn't move, I just turn back around and slide closer to my desk. Finally, he walks away.

"God," I sigh," He has got to be 35 years old flirting with a 23 year old. I'm gonna kill myself." Hank only laughs, and I see his back hunch over from his giggles.

Ignoring him, I ask , "Wanna go get a drink for lunch at Jimmys?"

He turns around at me, giving wide eyes. "At noon...? That's even a bit much for me."

"Look," I mumble, my temper short today,  „I need something right now." Of all people, he understands and quickly nods his head yes and turns back around to his desk.

My eyes wander around the room, inspecting everyone. There's the diligent working 25 year olds, the tired 30s, and the gross and crusty 40+. Hopefully the alcohol will have killed me before I can turn into one of those prunes.

I get my work done, for once. I file the reports, do all the boring work. Before I know it, it's lunchtime.

We head out to Jimmys bar, and I drink at least 10 shots. Light work, really. My dad can pull down 30. Only the light buzz keeps me going throughout the rest the day.

Of course, that only lasts a little while and by 10pm I am back there in my free time. Unsurprisingly, Hanks there too. We drink, he mainly daydreams off in his own little world while I chug some good ones down.

"Y/N, that's enough-"
"Enough for you, sure."

I throw down another one, and all he can manage for me is a sigh.

He gives me a side eye, "You can't drink that much."

"That is rich coming from you old man."

Silence fills the gap between us for a lot longer , maybe another hour. But the silence is comfortable, a mutual understanding that we are just here to forget the feelings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, maybe an hour passed,

I wouldn't know because i passed out and was awaken at 2am when the bar was closing. Hank already left, saying AND I QUOTE, "Bring me some ibuprofen tomorrow."

I hop in my car, an old little thing. She's a bright red car, so her names ruby.

"Ruby, you got this. Take me home one more time."

As soon as I start driving, I remember how amazing it feels to drink and drive.

It's a terrible thing to do, yes, but I have mastered the skill. It's one of the only things that makes me feel truly free, because what's the worse that could happen? I die?

Thats not so bad.