2.5

y/n pov-

The day lasts long. Seemingly never ending.

Lunch comes, breaks come, and every time I sit alone. First day back and I already am miserable.

It's about 8:25, todays a late workday. I scroll through the lists of deviants and take notes. I fill in my everyday papers, and try to hurry past it all.

I hear a tapping on my desk, so I swiftly remove my headphones and turn my chair around. My reflexes increase day by day.

I couldn't possibly imagine why.

"Hello. I did not mean to startle you."

Fuck, "God Connor, you seriously need to be more aware of how creepy you can be."

His eyes linger for a little longer then I would like before he finally speaks, "My apologizes, I didn't mean to- I-" He pauses, choosing his words carefully, "I will be more careful in my future approaches."

His formality freaks me out. "There's no reason to be so formal to me." I avert my eyes lower. His stance seems to be... uncomfortable. "You know, for a 6 foot tall robot who has the capability to save hostages and probably kill people, all the while being immortal, your awfully human."

The warmness in his eyes seem to fade, and his thoughts seem to take a long time to process.

"Well, Y/N, I was programmed to seem human. But I suppose the flaws in this office seem to have sprung a sense of humanity within me."

y/n-
^increase in connection
Warm

"I suppose it could be worse." I sigh, shifting my feet back towards the desk. "I'm just glad your not a raging asshole like Gavin."

I flicker my eyes towards him,
"You could be a lot, lot worse."

connor pov-

Her eyes seem to slant in the corners, the darkness in her face shadows her expressions.

But her smile then, it outshined the shadows.

"You could be a lot, lot worse."

I attempt to smile, and I lean my side against her desk. Her own posture seems to loosen, so I consider this interaction a success. I'll have to inform Amanda later.

"So, I see you have no trace of animal hair along your chair like Hank does. He told me he has a dog named Sumo," I inquire, "do you like animals?"

"Oh yeah," She snickers, "I believe only monsters don't like animals."

A breath of air seems to escape her lungs, slowly but with a sense of relief. "I had a little dog, his name was Shay, but a couple of months ago, my roommate moved out and.." She seemed tense. "Took him. Shay went with him, and I will always remember the hug he gave before he ran out the door, being forced."

Y/n's eyes seem to return to their dark form, so I quickly avert the subject.

"Well, I'm sure Sumo loves you."

"Duh. I'm way better then that old man. Poor Sumo seems like a fish out of water sometimes."

My brain tries to calculate her facial expressions, her silly metaphors.

software instability

Her voice lowers, almost a whisper, "But between you and me, I wish I could steal him."

A slight grin escapes her lips, so I feel open to say my own opinion.

I approach my sentence with a flat tone, as to not disturb her peace. "I like dogs."

"Mhm, fascinating. You sound really enthused." She says, fixing the papers on her desk. She seems to want to leave. Uncomfortable, unsure, unstable.

"I truly do like them. I just don't get to see them often."

"Well maybe for your little birthday I will bring doggies to the office." Y/N says, and I am not sure if she is being serious or not. Her tone matches mine, flat. Robotic. "Say, Connor, how old will you be on your next birthday?"

"One year, technically, but I like to think I am around the age of 25. I feel like that is a comfortable age to be at." I respond. I was never really given instructions on my 'human age'.

She makes a sound of approval, and I can hear the roughness in her throat.

Perhaps from yelling, drinking, or maybe even an illness.

"I'm sure i'll come up with something. Just don't piss off too many people before then, okay Connor?" My name slips off of her lips, and for once, I feel regarded as an actual person. "I can't throw you a party if your in the dumpster lot, or even worse, being destroyed in an anti-android event. Lord knows the people here love those."

She lifts her shoulders up, getting prepared to stand. I notice it takes a little more effort then preferred, but I don't dare reach to help.

I take orders from Anderson, and earlier today he told me to not follow her, to not help her. So I won't.

The silence fills the air around us, and the shuffling of papers fills in the remainder. "I have to leave, but I will see you soon, alright? I'm sure I will have to come in tomorrow, but if not, then don't be afraid to ask Chris over there for help." She points to a tall man, dark skin with bright eyes. "He is fresh around here, but he is a good man."

She steps around me, waving a goodbye.

After I muster enough energy to wave back, she leaves, the sound of her footsteps filling my head. I turn to her computer to see all her tabs still open, she didn't even bother (or remember) to shut everything out.

She had piles of work to finish.