Lost...

Glare:

We moved in slow motion. More like glacier-paced actually.

The cars were lined one after the other, all crawling towards the main entrance of the restaurant where Atlas booked a reservation for tonight.

"Iconic." I whispered after seeing the neon sign above the arched, and elaborately carved entrance to the establishment.

"Been here before?" Atlas in his black suit, looking exceptionally handsome beside me asked.

"First time." I looked at him, he smiled back as he steered the wheel of his SUV.

"Don't worry, we'll have a wonderful time." He winked at me.

"I already am." I smiled back.

"You're drunk aren't you!" He laughed.

"Is it that obvious?" I giggled.

"A little."

"Those three martinis really did a job on me." I admitted.

"Can't you use a spell to counter it?"

"I guess I could, but I kinda like the buzz it's giving me."

"Hmmm, liquid courage?"

"I guess. Anyways, what's taking so long? At this rate we won't make it to dinner. More like midnight snack probably."

"Patience, we're almost there." He reached over to hold my left hand, probably trying to stop me from fleeing.

I watched as one car after another stopped to unload their passengers. A dignitary, a fashion icon, a multi awarded actress were some of the people I saw alight from their chauffered vehicles.

"We're here, let's go." Atlas removed his seatbelt and hurriedly jumped out to let the valet park his vehicle. I slowly got down, feeling a bit lightheaded.

Atlas took my hand in his and together we started to walk inside the bright and spacious restaurant.

"Mr. Rosewater, goodevening sir. Will you be dining with us this evening?" The Maitre D' hurriedly approached me as we entered.

"Excuse me, but I made a reservation under..." Atlas cleared his throat.

"No reservation is necessary for the likes of Mr. Rosewater. Please, follow me." The haughty looking well-dressed man interrupted Atlas.

"I guess I should bring you out more often. I could get front seats to concerts and ball games with you in tow." Atlas grumbled beside me.

"I'd like that. Use me anyway you want to." I winked mischievously at Atlas and he chuckled beside me.

"The best seat in the house, sir." The Maitre D' bowed, then pulled a chair for me. "Can I start you off with something to drink?" He asked after I was seated.

"Chardonnay please." I replied.

"And you sir?"

"I think I'll have a scotch, on the rocks."

"You think? You are not certain? Perhaps I should give you a moment or two to decide what you..."

"Just bring me a scotch on the rocks." Atlas was beginning to lose his temper.

"As you wish. I will be back shortly Mr. Rosewater with your drinks. Excuse me."

"I'm beginning to regret bringing you here." Atlas looked around the room, his instinct to make sure we were safe kicking in.

"You know... you didn't have to go through all this trouble Atlas. I would've been happy to eat at a nearby deli. Just as long as I get to spend some time with you." I reached over to place my right hand gently on his clenched fist.

"I know, but I wanted it to be special. I mean, we did accomplish our mission. We've returned the tome to the Oracle, thereby avoiding a major catastrophy. We've made sure both your coven and my pack are safe. Speaking of, how's your mom and sister?"

"After you dropped me off at the office earlier today, I found out where they were staying. Even with all the workers fixing my mom's house, it would take another week before we could all move in again."

"But they're comfortable? They're safe? You could all move in with us at the pack house... if you guys wouldn't mind roughing it out for a few days? Only until the repairs are done."

"Yes, both my mom and Genevieve are safe. Comfortable? My sister hates that she's lost a bit of privacy, what with all the security personnel stationed around the safe house. Thank you for the offer. That's very kind of you, but we'll manage." The Maitre D' returned to serve us our drinks, he was accompanied by a very young waitress holding a pair of menus.

"Your drinks, sir. This is Cecille, she will be in-charge of all your needs for tonight. Please, enjoy." He left with a smile and a nod, as Cecille stepped forward to greet us, and hand us our menus.

The evening progressed with nothing but laughter and light banter. We enjoyed our meal which consisted of lobster dipped in warm butter for Atlas, and porterhouse steak with mushroom gravy for me.

Throughout the time we spent together, Atlas made me feel special, cared for, loved. Tonight was special. He... was special. And I knew, that I was ready to open my heart up to him if he would ask me tonight.

We stood outside the restaurant, his arm draped on my shoulders as we waited for the valet to bring us our ride when a white Rolls limo stopped a few feet away from us. From said vehicle an influential vampire named Garret Flint alighted from it with my sister in tow.

"Glare!" Genevieve exclaimed, surprised that I was out and about. Dressed in a light green evening dress with emeralds and diamonds to complete her attire, she hurriedly approached us leaving Garret behind, and I immediately felt Atlas tense beside me. His arm, which gave me warmth and security awhile ago slowly slipped away as he whispered one word that took all the happiness away from me...

"Mate." A whispered longing, a startled reaction, a heart breaking.