Fraction...

Glare:

The wind blades rotated at a fraction of a milli centimeter as I watched from across the room. Aunt Marcie remained unmoving after she hurled the sharp wind projections at me. Kenneth, her present lover and arm candy, was sprawled a few feet away from where I stood. He was unconscious after I knocked him out with a punch to the gut. We were all located at the training halls of a beautiful city called Athens, in one of the properties of my late grandparents... hidden from prying eyes as I trained to protect myself from different attacks, both physical and magical that my opponents might use on me.

My powers were increasing. I learned that I needed no spells to conjure any magic, it flowed through me freely, and was always at my disposal. Being a Penumbra I was told that I had several powers that I can use at my command... some I already have such as: immense speed, unsurpassed agility and strength, telekinesis, astral projection, and the ability to control the tides and gravitational pull. The others like: being able to project desired feelings on others, accelerated healing, and clairvoyance were a few that I would receive as I grew into my powers.

I walked slowly to where Kenneth lay unconscious and took his silver satin bowtie. After which I approached my aunt to tie the satin material around her head and cover her eyes. I then waited for the wind blades to hit the marble walls of the massively large training room, before moving out of its reach. A crashing sound reverberated as the wind blades first hit the solid walls, then bounced to hit a rack of ancient swords and maces. I watched as time returned to its normal pace once I was out of danger.

"My eyes! I can't see a thing. What have you done Glare!" Panicked Aunt Marcie started shrieking.

"Take your blindfold off you crazy bat." I laughed, she huffed annoyed at me after removing her blindfold.

"You're not taking this seriously! My powers combined with my dear Kenneth's abilities may be too weak to offer you any real challenges, but we are trying to prepare you for when you ascend this Friday. The least you can do is show us that you are being careful and appreciative you snotty little brat." She punched my left arm.

"Ouch! That hurt." I complained.

"Good, it was meant to." She strode to where Kenneth lay unmoving. "My poor baby, he's out cold. You could've held back on your attacks Glare." She wiped his cheek lovingly with her slender almost fragile looking fingers.

"He deserved it. He called me a useless excuse of a pupil.

"He was trying to challenge you into defeating our attacks."

"It worked. He's down, you're blind. Mission accomplished." I helped my aunt to haul Kenneth up on a nearby bench, where I took my towel to wipe my brows.

"I worry that I might not be the best person to prepare you for what lies ahead of you when you ascend as the Penumbra. I mean, look at me. I've always been the black sheep of the family. Your grandfather was truly relieved to have your father to carry on the Rosewater responsibilities after I was never in reach to help out with anything."

"You're being too hard on yourself. Father had nothing but good words to describe you. He understood your need to be as free as a bird. Always hungry for knowledge, freedom, and experience. He always compared you with my sister. He said, and I quote: 'both too beautiful to be tamed'."

"Well, your sister has been. It would seem that this Atlas guy was good for her. She has been nothing short of the perfect bride after they were immediately married when you left."

I remained quiet, the handsome face of Atlas etched in my mind's eye reminded me of how he was destined for someone better than me. My sister, always the better choice. She was the charming, level-headed, bright child of the Rosewater clan, while I was merely the less than effective spokesperson for the business side of our family's existence.

"Forgive me, I did not mean to..."

"It's alright Aunt Marcie. It has been several months. I've gotten over it." I lied.

"It's not right to dwell on past disappointments. The goddess has someone destined for you. Try to have a little faith."

"I would rather the goddess did not pair me off. Being a Penumbra I'm needed to tie myself to an Alpha who would change the course of history. Imagine the problems that would cause if my heart already belonged to someone instead of the Alpha I was supposed to serve."

"And that may be the exact reason why you found out that you and Atlas were not meant for each other before things got out of hand."

"I suppose so." I sighed.

"They will be at the ascension you know. They will be amongst the people who will bear witness to the moon overshadowing you this Friday on your 21st birthday."

"Do we really have to hold an outdated ceremony?"

"We do. It's tradition. It's to present you to the people who will be under your care and guidance. People who will look up to you, respect you, and love you." Aunt Marcie smoothed back the bangs that fell on my right eye after I stared down at my feet.

"Old feelings might resurface."

"Feelings of?"

I shook my head before answering her with the utmost honesty. "Jealousy, anger, hurt."

"Then lash out if you must, but after that... forgive, move on, forget."

"Easy for you to say." I chuckled.

"A Rosewater is nothing short of resilient. As a Penumbra... you are indestructible." She hugged me, as if willing me to be strong, and wise. It was then I knew, that facing my sister and her now husband Atlas was a certainty that was fast approaching.