Celebrate...

Ares:

"They must be having a party." I exclaimed as the chauffeured Bentley crawled its way back to the driveway of the palatial Rosewater Manor. Three black Lincoln Navigators followed behind me as my Betas were reluctant to let me travel alone.

"Probably to celebrate the Penumbra's success in finding his Alpha." Dave replied beside me on the backseat of the car.

"I'm not that big of a deal to celebrate, Dave."

"Why not? You're an Alpha of exceptional looks and bearing. Successful in both business dealings as well as pack governance. With a good taste in books and music... I just wish you used a different perfume tonight." He scrunched his nose in disapproval of my choice of cologne.

"What? I've been using this cologne for ages." I sniffed my right armpit.

"Exactly. Ages ago it was fine to use. Now? Yuck!"

"What now? Too masculine? Too overpowering? Too strong?"

"Too old! It's for senior citizens in wheelchairs and oxygen tanks."

"Then you should use it!"

"Fuck you."

"Sorry, I'm spoken for. The Penumbra, remember?"

"Shut up. We're here." Dave opened the door of the car as a valet appeared to assist us.

"Good evening Alpha Ares. Welcome back. Are you here to pit yourself against the other contenders?" The young man asked me as he held the door of the car open for both Dave and I.

"Contenders?" Dave asked for both of us.

"Elder Gisselle is in the process of screening unattached, unclaimed, unproblematic Alphas who would be suitable to pair off with her son, the Penumbra." The valet explained.

"They can't do that!" I answered with a raised voice.

"I'm sorry sir, I don't understand. Did you not reject the Penumbra earlier?"

"I did no such thing! I merely..."

"No time to waste. Let's go!" Dave grabbed my arm and started dragging me into the huge foyer even before I could finish my sentence. I cringed at the force he used to lead me to the long line of men in their best attire, waiting to be lead into the main living room for inspection like prized cattle.

"Easy on the arm. My wounds remember?" I whispered as my feet half skidded, half stomped to stay in sync with Dave's steps.

"Stupid boy! This would not have happened if you acknowledged the fact that you felt the slightest attraction to Glare earlier. Now we stand to lose the only person who can save you... save us!" We were stopped by three armoured Mages in front of the closed door, their uniforms bearing the Rosewater Crest of a crescent moon with a rose.

"Halt. You must wait your turn. Elder Gisselle..." One of the Mages instructed us.

"This is the Alpha who is destined to tie himself to the Penumbra! Open the goddamned door or I will personally knock it out of its hinges." Dave growled releasing my arm, only to choke the Mage closest to him. The two other Mages started attacking Dave by projecting energy balls from their hands to render him temporarily paralyzed, but it had no effect on Dave.

"Dave! Stop it." The other Alphas in line started to come forward as well to prove their strength, and I had to step in to protect both Dave and myself. In no time at all, an all out rumble ensued. Clothings were ripped, statutes were toppled, vases were broken, and bodies were wounded.

I barely noticed the large oak door open to reveal Glare's mother conjuring a major whirlwind to separate everyone from their stranglehold on each other. A deadly silence descended on the room, as Elder Gisselle frowned on me.

"Explain yourself Lycan!" She commanded me.

"I... made a mistake. I wasn't honest with what I felt. When Glare asked if I had recognized him as my mate... I lied. I wanted to honor my promise to my late Luna, to love her until my last breath. I didn't want to give myself the chance to be happy without Liza, but for me to deny the Penumbra's love will not only lead to my death, but the extinction of my pack as well. I was too proud to accept the fact that I needed your son's help to survive... to live. I'm not proud of my decision. I humble myself before you Elder Gisselle, please give me a chance to atone for my mistake... just don't take your son away from me. He has absolutely no reason to forgive me, to help me, or to love me... but I need him. I love him. I will not last another day without him by my side. He is not only my mate... he is my life. I'm sorry, please forgive me."

"Darn, there goes my chance." Alpha Kier murmured behind me with a busted lip.

"Silence!" Glare's mother exclaimed. "You have no right to hurt my son's feelings Lycan. He who holds the answer to your pathetic existence! You do not deserve him. He will be better off marrying a garden gnome than be tied to someone like you who does not appreciate his worth. You have said your piece... you may leave." She turned around to enter the great big doors again, and all I can do was stare at her retreating figure. It was then that I felt my heart break, and my tears started to flow.

"Everyone back in line!" Alpha Tristan commanded, he looked no more than thirteen years old. I watched as the line began to form again, while Dave began to apologize to the Mage he choked awhile ago.

"I'll meet you in the car, Dave." I said, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand.

I walked slowly out of the foyer. The valet greeted me by holding the car door open and bowing. I sat alone at the back of the car as I stared out of the window, while the tears continued to flow.

I felt, rather than saw, Dave enter the car to sit beside me. Quietly he sat there, I could not face him, and so I continued to stare outside the window. I know I've made a big mistake, and now I have disappointed him terribly.

"What kind of a moron lets go of the chance to be loved by someone? A Penumbra at that, who only wants to make a dying, worthless, arrogant Alpha's life better? Someone who, though he has no reason to tie himself to me, still manages not only to heal me, but show how much he cares for me? I've made a big mistake Dave, and I'm sorry. I lost the love of the Penumbra. I only wish he chooses the right Alpha. Right now I only want Glare to be happy, after I've made him very sad. I will forever regret losing him."

"The choice was made long before tonight, you haven't lost me." I turned to see Glare sitting beside me.

"I thought you were Dave!" My tears started to flow all the more, uncontrolled like a river.

"Oh that's very flattering. Perhaps I should fetch him for you?" He smiled teasingly at me, and before I could control myself I grabbed his left arm, as I melded our lips together. Bright light, brilliant and warm began to illuminate both our bodies... and I felt one in happiness with the person destined for me by the glorious moon goddess.