Familiar...

Glare:

It was a mistake. Coming here unassisted. Unprotected. Inexperienced.

I arrived amidst the chaos that waited for me. They came in throes, hundreds, thousands of mindless anger-driven whiffs. The more I tried to contain them, the more they became violent. It was like the more I tried, the less I succeeded. Then by accident, I freed several from the mind control that had them attacking the Lycan King's men. By touching their chest, where their heart is located, and sending a gentle jolt I learned that they could be awakened from the spell that had them following someone's orders. For a while, I was winning.

For a while.

That was until he appeared out of nowhere.  Garbed in a robe as black as the night, he moved with superhuman speed and strength. He matched my tactics and powers like no one could. It was as if he knew what I was going to do even before I moved or thought of it. We battled atop an elevated mound of soil. He had black smoke emanating from his body, it served like tentacles that attacked me from all directions. I had wounds appearing on my body faster than they could heal. I could feel my strength waning, and I feared that I was going to lose this battle. I began to doubt my strength and my abilities. 

I began to doubt... myself.

A sudden collective shout brought me back to my senses. Ares, Atlas, and Gen arrived with a great number of Lycans and Mages to help me in my attempt to subdue the threat that appeared at the Lycan King's personal domain. The Lycans took to battle as the Mages started healing everyone around them. Gen, my sister, held a familiar sceptre that emitted light that enveloped the mages in a protective shield which the Whiffs could not penetrate. The scepter that she used was hidden in our family vault containing treasures that were among my father's prized possessions. She deftly held it aloft, as Whiff after Whiff was repelled forcefully by the light that glowed brightly from it. It was called the scepter of Zeus, unknown how my father had acquired it.

A sharp pain had me reeling out of balance as one of my enemy's tentacles made a deep gash on my right temple. I felt myself thrown against the trunk of a nearby tree as my vision momentarily became fuzzy. 

"Penumbra!" "Glare!" Ares and Atlas both shouted as I fell heavily to the ground. They both transformed into their full wolf forms. Atlas in his golden Wolf and Ares in his snow white wolf, and quickly attacked my heavily robed assailant.

In my weakened state I observed the exchange of blows that occured. The robed assassin effortlessly avoided the combined attacks of the brothers, and was unsurprisingly too fast for either one of them to even wound. What was curiously obvious however was how the assassin would take great care not to hurt Atlas while dealing almost fatal blows at my mate Ares. The exchange of claws and punches continued, and more than once Ares was brought to his knees gasping for air. 

Fully recovered, I began to float towards the brothers to join in their assault on the robed person. I began to call on the tendril like smoke that my body would emit when anger clouded my judgement. Instantaneously I began to duel with the robed enemy. Tendril by tendril I began not only to deflect his attacks, but more importantly the energy balls I threw at him started to wreak havoc on his defenses. Light against darkness... but I commanded both, while he only had the shadows to protect him. I began to deal one damaging blow after another on our robed assailant, and both Ares and Atlas stood alert by my side while they let me wound and viciously attack our enemy. Hurling energy balls, and slashing him with multiple tendrils of sharp black smoke, I had my assailant crashing against rocks and trees.

In a final blow, I used my power to manipulate gravity to bring the assassin forcefully to his knees while an energy bolt hit him squarely on the face, throwing his hood off and showing his face... a face that I have known all my life. A face that was more than just familiar.

A face that belonged to me.