Signs...

Glare:

"When you were born, your father and I already saw signs of how special you were. You practically glowed the very first day you came into this world.

"More importantly, no one in a ten-mile radius could use magic. The Lycans came to us after a few days, asking for help because no one in the nearby packs could shift into their wolf form.

"You basically had everyone under your spell. When you cried we knew exactly why, it's like you had a connection with everyone around you. We knew when you were hungry, cold, or wet. That's how we knew that you were the next Penumbra." My mother explained calmly as we sat on stone benches infront of the broken Saphire altar.

"Why has no one informed me of this until now?"

"In order to protect you, your father and I cast a forgetfulness spell to wipe the memory of everything that transpired after the day you were born. This was done the minute we were all able to use magic again, which happened as the moon changed its phase by the end of your birth month. We hid you here, in the ruins of the Temple of Selene and only brought you out when there were guests or special occasions.

"We were afraid the Whiffs, or some other person with evil intention would come and take you away. We've kept everything a secret, only your father and I knew of your special abilities."

"I don't understand. The previous Penumbras were both women. How can I..."

"The goddess has a reason for everything. We'll know when the time is right. For now, how about we just try to carry on like we used to... as a family."

"I'm afraid that's not possible mother. I need to distance myself from Genevieve and Atlas. This is to ensure they get a fair chance at starting a life together. Having me around is only going to make it difficult for either of them to give in to whatever feelings the goddess had intended for them to have."

"But don't you think that's only going to push them apart? A guilty conscience might..."

"That's the risk they have to take on their own. I can't take that for them. The most I can do is give them a chance to make something out of this situation."

"And what about you?"

"I'm moving out. For the time being I will be staying with aunt Marcie. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to have me around. Only until I can purchase my own house."

"Marcella? Your father's younger sister is in no condition to act as your mentor. She's a loose cannon, unable to control her temper, and is without filter with her words."

"She is a loving person. True her tongue is a bit sharp, but she has nothing but good intentions."

"That's your opinion. Besides, I don't think she'll be able to take you under her wings. She's practically gallivanting all around the world with her present boytoy."

"Really mother? Boytoy?" I asked trying to suppress a laughter.

"It's true. She has this Nephilim guy named Kenneth Barnes at her beck and call. They're practically inseparable."

"And that's a problem because?"

"Well, you know your aunt. Given her track record, I predict that this guy won't last either. Not that it's any of my concerns."

"My sister was basically the same, now she has Atlas. Why don't you give aunt Marcie the same understanding you gave Genevieve? She is after all the sister of the man you loved."

"I know, son. I'm just grasping at straws here, trying to come up with excuses for you to stay with us."

"Well, it's not going to work. I need to get out of here. I will only become bitter, sad, and vindictive if I stay." I sighed.

"Will you come visit?" My mother held my left arm, afraid to let me go.

"Of course. But only to see you... no one else. I will place a protection spell around this place. Only you can enter the ruins, no one else."

"What of the coven? Your training was supposed to start after you ascended?"

"I will still remain a member of our coven, unless I see a reason to leave its fold. My training can be provided by elders from other covens or circles."

"Certainly not! A pure breed descendant of the goddess has too much power for just any elder to guide you in using."

"I understand. We'll see. For now, I just want to get out of here. The longer I stay, the longer it will take me to heal from this pain."

"I'm proud of you. You chose to consider other people's feelings despite the fact that you were hurting too."

"I am a Rosewater, sacrifice is what we do." I stood to wave my hand and place an incantation on the ruins of the Temple of Selene to prevent people, except my mom and I, from entering this area.

"I shall be on my way then. Do take care Glare and keep in touch. Send me a flaming message when you need me, and I will instantly come to your aide." She stood up as well and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"One more thing." I took off the amulet Atlas gave me and handed it to my mother. "Please return this to Atlas. Tell him..." The words came hard to say. "Tell him... goodbye." My eyes remained without tears though my heart felt like it was breaking.

My mother stared at the amulet for the briefest of moments, before she gave me a sad smile and caressed my left cheek. Entering a flaming portal to return to where Atlas and my sister were waiting, she looked back at me momentarily and waved... and then was gone.

"Let's go Remus. The world awaits." My wolf and I entered a glittering portal... to welcome an unknown future. A future that was destined by the goddess of the moon.