3: Loud Love?

January 2nd, 1991

I'm currently up enjoying this new year, by doing what I do best. Let me do my best to set the scene for you.

It's 7pm. I'm in my bed, with candles lit up on my bedside table, half naked and looking through magazines to find hot guys. (Like I usually do) It's also raining, which from what I've noticed, is also a common thing in Seattle.

I was about to cut a picture of this cute guy from my magazine to add to my collection of shirtless men under my bed, (Don't ask okay?) When a knock at my front door disturbed my new found peace.

"Ughhhh" I groaned as I hid my magazine and struggled to put on my pants as I walked to the door. I pushed my hair behind my ears and opened the door. You know, because it might be someone cute?

Sadly it wasn't someone (too) cute.

"Hey Annihilator!" I was greeted by Stone and two other people behind him, one being Jeff from the party, and the other unknown, standing around with guitars and amps.

"Umm.. Hey?" I said, puzzled, "What are you doing here?"

Stone stepped forward, "So basically, Laura and Chris are having this like, date thing at the flat and we kinda walked in on-"

"We were wondering if we could jam at your apartment" Jeff interrupted Stone with a hopeful smile on his face.

"It's like... 7? I'm gonna get so many noise complaints, I'd rather not be kicked out," I shrugged.

"We'll be quiet! I swear! I just want to unsee what I saw.." The other guy in the back stared off into space during the last part.

"Okay.. Fine. Before I start picturing whatever you saw, you can come in" I opened the door completely so the three of them could come in with all their gear.

"Which room do you think has the most outlets?" Stone asked while standing clueless with his Les Paul.

"Uhh, probably my room.. But-"

"Great! We'll play there!" He interrupted me and motioned the other two to my room.

"Fuck sake.." I muttered to myself. I was not in the mood to deal with Seattle boys at this hour.

I slowly followed behind them, slumping my shoulders.

"Is this some sort of housewarming party?" I questioned while they plugged their guitars in.

Stone snickered at my comment, "Pfft, you wish. We're only here because A. Fionnuala lives in Olympia and B. She hates us anyway"

"Oh really? I don't know why she'd hate Jeff, but you? Oh that's totally explainable" I said, passive aggressively.

Jeff nodded and laughed, while Stone raised his eyebrows and me and shook his head.

"This is Mike by the way, Mike M not the other one" Stone pointed to the other guy and he waved.

"There's another one?" I asked.

"Yea, he's a bassist though, and he hangs out with Layne and Jerry and them. Speaking of, your lucky Jerry isn't here, because he would probably trash your place" Mike snickered.

"Jesus, he sounds like a nightmare from what I've heard" I sighed, a little disappointed that I didn't get to meet him.

"He's also been drinking a lot lately, the poor fucker broke up with his girl friend and he's so lonely" Mike sighed.

Stone's amp had finally warmed up, so he started sliding his pick on the strings to make a horrible scratching sound, just to make me mad.

"Do you mind fuck head?" I groaned and covered my ears.

Mike started chugging a random riff on his stratocaster and nodding his head to it, while Jeff started flicking the strings of his bass.

"Hey... Nice guitar you got there.. Looks expensive as hell," Stone pointed to my guitar, that was stuffed under my bed. Along with the shirtless men.

"Oh yea... I stole it from my dad, before he kicked me out. What a sucker," I threw myself to look under my bed and pulled out my guitar and amp.

Jeff nodded at me as I went to plug my guitar in.

10:00pm

"Who would be knocking on the door at this time?" Stone grumbled.

"That's exactly the same thing I said when you knocked on my door" I raised an eyebrow at him and walked to the door.

"Hey Annie! Is Stone, Jeff and Mike here?" Laura stood at my front door, she looked like she was anticipating something. Very nervous.

"No." I had a fast reaction. Don't even ask why I said no, because I don't have an answer for that.

She crossed her arms and tilted her head. "Oh really? So then who's in your room shredding right now?"

"Umm... The ghost of Jimi Hendrix..." I said awkwardly. My demeanour obviously gave away my lie.

She brushed past me and grabbed my arm, "I need to get you guys together, because I have some very exciting news"

"It better be exciting" I mumbled as she dragged me into my room, where everyone was.

I'll have to admit, it was pretty funny looking at their faces. It was like they were remembering repressed memories.

"Hey Laura" They awkwardly said in unison.

She couldn't contain the massive grin on her face, "Okay guys, I have some news"

We all paid our full attention, thinking that it was going to be something really stupid. Laura has a history of overreacting. Like the time I smashed her head on the concrete while we were play-wrestling, she started screaming and then passed out.

Such a drama queen, am I right?

"Chris and I are engaged!" She yelped.

Okay... I wasn't expecting that... Maybe that was worth the reaction.

"Woah uhh... Congratulations'' Mike gestured to Laura, but it was pretty obvious he was absolutely rocked off his socks.

"Gosh that's so cool Laura! How long have you guys even been dating?" My body had finally been able to process this.

"Around 2 years" She beamed.

"So that's what the date night was for... Anyway good for you Laura!" Jeff commended.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Stone peeking under my bed.

"Okay see ya! I have to go tell everyone else!" She quickly hugged me and ran off.

Mike broke the ominous silence in the room, "Well that was something..."

"I don't understand why she had to come and tell us at 10pm... But okay then,"

Stone had this massive, devious grin on his face.

"Look what I found when I was putting your guitar away!" He pulled out my magazines from earlier.

I smiled at him embarrassed, "You know how it is.."