13: Worried sisters and badly kept secrets

August 4th

Tap. Tap.

My fingers won't stop.

Why won't they stop.

Stop.

Just call her.

It's not that hard.

Why are you so scared.

I continued to stare directly at the phone. I could do this all day. Yeah.

I leaned back in my chair and huffed. Why was calling my own sister such a hard thing to do? I complain about being lonely, yet I never initiate anything. The phone stared right back at me and started ringing.

It's like it's taunting me.

I shrieked at the loud noise but calmed myself and answered the phone.

"Hello?" I nervously answered. If you couldn't already tell, I was on edge, and a loud phone ringing really didn't make it any better.

"Annie? Why do you sound terrified? Are you okay?"

To my knowledge, Eddie was on the other line. What could he possibly want from me anyway?

"Hey. I'm alright, what's up?" I calmly said back.

"I just wanted to know if you wanted to come over to my house and jam. Stone and Mike are here too, since I know how find Stone is of you," Eddie chuckled on the other line.

I sighed. It would be nice to see the guys again.

I felt a presence in the room, and I looked up to see Jerry humour-sly looming over me. I covered the microphone before I could answer Eddie.

"Do you feel like seeing the Pearl Jam guys today?" I smiled as he kissed my head.

Jerry pondered for a moment as I heard Eddie asking if I was still on the line.

"Sure, I assume we might need earplugs?" He smiled.

I nodded and took my hand off the microphone, "Yea, sure. Can Jerry come as well?"

Eddie paused, then responded. "Sure, I love that guy! Is he at your place right now?"

I had realised nobody actually knew we were an item yet, I guess that's some fun news for later.

"Uh.. Yeah, he was just stopping by.. We will be there soon!" I hastily answered and hung up the phone.

"Wanna get going now?" He said while pulling a shirt over his head.

I spun around in my chair, "Yeah, let me just find my shoes. I am NOT walking barefoot again." I chuckled.

"I agree. Picking the splinters out of your foot while you kick me isn't particularly my idea of fun anyways," He joked. "Let's get going," He gently tossed my shoes to me.

I never thought I would have another boyfriend after Ben, but here we are. I am so glad I met Jerry, even if he is a bit stupid sometimes.

We ended up taking a bus to Eddie's house because I didn't feel like walking half an hour.

"Do you want to tell them about us? It's okay if you don't," Jerry whispered as we approached the front door.

I paused and thought for a second.

"Maybe not right now. I want to tell my sisters first, and I would rather them find out from me than anyone else."

He smiled and nodded as we continued into Eddie's house.

"Annihilator!" Stone yelled, "Catch this!"

He tossed me a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. 

"Finally, you dog. Took you long enough." I snickered.

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Layne. He looked... different. He was drugged out on something, and I had really hoped it wasn't what I thought it was.

Jerry seemed to notice him as well.

"You good there, Layne? Not too doped out, I hope," He half joked.

Layne slightly smiled and shook his head, "No. I'm fine. "

I knew he wasn't. I wish I hadn't ignored it.

I perched myself on the couch and relaxed while Jerry picked up one of Eddie's guitars.

"Have any of you spoken to Laura recently? I feel like we haven't talked to her in ages," Mike pondered while adjusting the settings on his amp.

So maybe she wasn't avoiding calling me. Maybe she was avoiding everyone?

"Haven't heard from Chris either. Maybe they are out of town or something?" Layne tugged on his shoe lace.

"I'm sure she'll call you soon," Jerry put his hand on my shoulder while no one was looking.

His touch gave me a slight hint of hope, and I smiled.

"They could just be enjoying married life. Probably doing you know what a lot," Eddie smirked.

Stone chuckled, "Eddie! Her sister is right there."

I shook my head in disapproval and lit a cigarette.

"Yo Ed, got any beer?" Mike glanced around the room.

Eddie grinned, "Yeah. In the cooler right next to you."

Mike opened the cooler and started chucking everyone a beer. I caught one and struggled to open it.

"Please don't throw up again." Jerry laughed.

"Yeah, Annie. Don't do it," Stone teased.

"I'll make sure I'm right next to you when I do," I spat.

I take my first sip and poke my tongue out.

Layne smirks, "Stop staring Eddie, or I'll have to tell Laura... And Finney!"

I looked over to Eddie, who was very embarrassed.

"I don't know how seriously Finney would take you after you burped in her face," Jerry chuckled.

Stone put his guitar down. "I'm hungry. Who wants to raid Eddie's kitchen with me?"

Mike and Layne followed Stone, with Eddie trailing behind them.

"I'm gonna have to bat the men away from you with a fly swatter," Jerry put his arm around me.

I leaned into him and closed my eyes, "Seriously."