4: Sub pop rock city

February 6th, 1991

"You good there Annie?" Laura turned to me from Chris' passenger seat.

I snapped out of my daze, and turned to her.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit scared I'm going to die in this car" I looked into the rearview mirror and stared at Chris. "I don't think engines are supposed to make that sound, buddy,"

"Oh please, this car has lasted me a longtime, it'll be fine" He shrugged, while swerving just to fuck with me.

"How did you even get a licence? Like seriously?" I crossed my arms. "You drive as if a three year had taken control of the wheel, except the three year old is probably a better driver than you!"

He chuckled, "What licence?"

My eyes widened, "Excuse me?"

"He's just joking Annie, he has a licence" Laura reassured me.

"If you say so," I rolled my eyes as we pulled into a driveway.

"Okay.. Who's gonna run in and grab Matt?" He sighed.

"I'll do it! Anything to get out of this car for 5 minutes! That's five minutes left that I don't have to explode!" I quickly got out and ran into the flat.

"Hey Matt, are you ready?" I called out. Despite how much I love banging people's doors down, we didn't have the time, so I thought it was be appropriate to just run in.

"Just a second!" I heard shuffling, like a lot of shuffling coming from inside.

I leaned on the wall beside the door and called through, "You're not doing anything illegal there are you?"

"Not this time!" The shuffling stopped and out came Matt, looking a bit scuffed. "Hey... Annie right?" He held out his hand.

I was a bit confused by the gesture, but went along with it.

"Okay, lets go! I don't want my sister to die in that car!" I called out as I ran back outside.

As we got in the car, Chris and Laura must've also recognised the state Matt was in.

"You good there Matt? Looking a little scruffy there" Chris turned to face him.

"Yea, yea I'm good" Matt nodded his head.

"Alright then.. Let's go before we miss the set" Chris back out of the driveway, while hitting the mailbox.

"Oi! Watch my mailbox!" Matt chuckled.

"Jesus Christ! Did you get a driving degree at clown college?" I laughed.

"As if he could even get accepted into clown college" Matt whispered to me.

8:00pm

"Fuck, I haven't been to a club since Finney forced me to see Nirvana back in Olympia" I shouted over the music to Laura.

"These guys are kind of like Nirvana, but dumber," She replied with a smirk on her face.

"Hmm... I don't know about that. Layne is one of the more... Behaved guys i've encountered here," I laughed.

"Oh yeah for sure, I barely know Layne, but he is pretty sensible compared to... Others.." Laura said while looking over people's shoulders. "We should move to the front, it's so much better up there" She grabbed my arm and started pulling me through the people.

"When are they even coming on anyway?" I yelled at her

"Uh, they should be on any minute actually" She said.