• 20 •

Sensing his presence, Mark's eyes fixed on Haechan like a spotlight.

The boy, who had already let his guard down after foolishly believing that Mr. Lee had gone home, now felt frozen. He bit the inside of his cheek, his mind going into overdrive as he pondered over what do no next. Lie and tell him that he was going to a friend's house? Say that he was waiting for someone? Or just accept Mr. Lee's imminent offer?

Those and many other possibilities plagued Haechan's mind while he let his legs carry him towards his teacher's car. The man continued leaning on it, watching his favorite student make his way over where he was. Keeping his head up, Mark felt powerful now that he had trapped Haechan into a position in which he didn't have any excuse to say no.

"I figured that I could save you some time while going home." Mr. Lee brought his hand up to show Haechan his car keys, which the boy looked at with dread. Speechless, Haechan shook his head, not trusting his own voice. "What was that?" Mark articulated bitterly, keeping his tone under control, but not so much his anger.

Haechan, who sensed the threat immediately, hesitantly took a step back, which caused nothing else but Mark to fully stand up and move closer to him, and closer, and closer. He was now right in front of the boy, who didn't dare to look up at his face but kept looking ahead at his teacher's clothed chest, making their height difference much more evident. Mark towered menacingly over Haechan, not giving him space to breathe. 

All of this tension finally pushed the boy to speak again. "Thank you. You're very kind but I like walking," he blurted out quickly, not taking the chance of stammering or losing his voice in the process. "Haechan," when said boy was about to turn around and escape, Mark's words kept him glued on the spot. "Not so fast."

Looking back at his teacher, Haechan's heart almost skipped a beat when he realized Mr. Lee had leaned down on the side of his head. The second his lips were just an inch away from the younger's ear, he let out in a whisper, "do I make you nervous, Sunshine?" The teacher's breath grazed Haechan's skin, not failing to send shivers down his spine. 

"Mr. Lee, I, I don't..." The boy desperately tried to find the words but he felt unable to formulate them, or even to move his body and make a run for it. Now Haechan knew for sure that his fight-or-flight instinct was not as strong as the option of simply freezing up. "We're not in class anymore, call me Mark," and taking advantage of his student's state, Mark started bringing up his arm with the intention of wrapping it around Haechan's waist and hold him to his body. 

It was then that a voice belonging to neither of them startled the two. "Hyuck???" Mark immediately moved away from Haechan, with a speed that would leave anyone wondering if he had been so near just before. Having his teacher off him, Haechan felt like he could finally move and breathe again, and so, still in shock, he also moved backwards, almost tripping over his own feet.

Renjun stood just a couple of meters away from them with his brows furrowed, "sorry I'm late." He had been watching for no more than a couple of seconds but it has been enough for him to realize that definitely something was wrong. "Junnie," Haechan breathed out in relief and went by his best friend's side, shielding himself from their English teacher.

Mark hadn't said anything yet, only looked at the two of them, his sharp eyes burning holes at Haechan and Renjun's interlocked arms. Renjun, who held no high regard of this particular teacher now that they were outside of high school, had zero fear in him. "Good night, Mr. Lee." 

"Hello, Renjun." The older returned the smile, one that would fool anyone into thinking he had only good intentions... anyone but those two students. "I wasn't expecting to meet you here," Renjun half-joked, trying to ease the tension in the air.

Haechan discreetly pulled Renjun's T-shirt from behind, which didn't go unnoticed by their teacher, who decided to pretend it did. Renjun understood the signal that his best friend ungently wanted to leave and felt that he needed to take it seriously. "We should head back now, see you in class."

With warm words but a certain coldness in his voice, Mark replied, "of course, take care." Haechan and Renjun bowed their heads lightly as the latter added a quick "you too, have a nice Sunday." Not wasting any time, the students continued their way towards Haechan's house.

With his thoughts running wild, Mark watched the pair for a few seconds before getting in his car and starting the engine. Renjun and Haechan saw his black vehicle drive away, and only then did Haechan let go of his arm, finally able to relax. He turned to his friend to thank him for coming and saving him, but his words died in his throat upon seeing the serious expression in Renjun's face.

"Tell me what's going on, right now."

A/N:

Hello again!

Not to be that person, but it would mean a whole lot to me if you could go back to my other chapters and give them a vote. Knowing that people engage with what I write is something really encouraging!

I know most people are ghost readers (just like me sometimes!), and I respect that, but seeing that a chapter has like almost 90 reads and only 15 votes brings my mood down a bit :(