• 27 •

The short walk from his house to Mr. Lee's felt like making his way to a death sentence.

Each step seemed increasingly difficult, as if his body was growing heavier and heavier the more they neared the neighbor's home. Before he had time to realize, they were already standing right in front of Mr. Lee's door, and Haechan watched with dread how his father rang the doorbell.

A well-dressed Mr. Lee opened almost immediately. "Mr. and Mrs. Lee, it's so good to see you," he spoke in such a sickly sweet voice that it made Haechan's stomach churn. Becoming aware that Mr. Lee was now going to address him, the boy glanced down at his shoes, "and of course, you too, Donghyuck." He nodded his head, faking a smile that hopefully conceived how he wished to be literally anywhere else. 

Despite his anguished state of mind, one particular thought did not escape him, which was that his teacher had called him by his real name only then, when his parents were present. So you want to keep things professional in front of them, huh?

"Come on in," Mark opened the door wider to let the three inside his not-so-humble abode. They entered and, following Mr. Lee's request, made themselves more comfortable. However, there was a certain tension in the air, something Haechan's parents failed to notice, and the boy was thankful for that. 

In that moment he decided to spare his mom and dad the trouble of knowing what had been truly going on. His father's protectiveness would become overwhelming, and his mother's heart would shatter if they ever found out what their son had had to go through.

And what he still had left to go through.

Mr. Lee guided his guests towards the living room, where the table had already been set and surrounded by four chairs. Haechan couldn't help letting his eyes wander around the house; every single piece of furniture and decoration felt like it had been taken right out of a celebrity magazine. Simplistic yet fashionable, Mark's home oozed elegance, maturity and mostly confidence, a perfect match with its owner. 

Fortunately, just in time to save Haechan from leaving his mouth hung open in awe, the boy's phone vibrated inside his pocket. He took it only to read a couple of new messages from his best friend.

injeolmi

remember what I told you!

text me if you need anything 

He smiled fondly, wondering just what good had he ever done to deserve knowing somebody like Renjun, and even calling him a friend. Before he could linger on that thought any longer, Haechan heard his father whisper, nudging him softly with his elbow, "stay off the phone when we're with your teacher." His son silently obeyed.

"Please, take a seat," Mr. Lee invited them, moving one of the chairs like a gentleman to help Mrs. Lee sit down. Haechan's father sat in front of her, which left Mark and the boy to sit facing each other, leaving him with unpleasant flashbacks of that time they 'shared' a drink in his workplace. Shaking the memory off his mind, he sat down in defeat, but still linging to the idea that the earlier they started this strange reunion, the earlier it would finish.

Mark went to the kitchen to finish getting the food ready, and when he returned, Haechan's mom took it upon herself to begin the conversation for the night, "it was really kind of you to invite us, Mr. Lee." Said man smiled as he finished serving his guest and had sat with them, "of course. Since I am not only Donghyuck's teacher but also your new neighbor, I figured we could all get to know each other a bit more." Haechan's father agreed, "that sounds like a good idea."

Afterwards, some small talk dominated the atmosphere. It was excruciatingly awkward for Haechan, to see his parents getting more acquainted and trusty with him, while the boy made sure not to utter a single word. He had to fight the urge to physically cringe. 

Everything felt wrong in that moment, from their very presence in his house to the way Mr. Lee had just given Haechan's parents permission to call him Mark. Inappropriate, all of it. Haechan just knew, and he also knew that Mark was aware too. What game are you playing?

His fingertips itched to simply grab the phone and ask Renjun to begin with their little escape plan. It would be so easy, so so easy, but Haechan resisted nevertheless, not knowing exactly why. This whole situation felt like he was being tested, and just to not let himself be played around anymore, he would make sure to pass.

While Mr. Lee chatted comfortably with Haechan's parents, his student stole a glance towards him, trying to decipher him. Trying to understand where it was all coming from, and why he had become the target of his advances. He stared with a frown on his face, determined to find out just what was going inside his twisted mind. It was such his determination, however, that it completely went over his head to disguise his emotions. 

Mr. Lee had sensed being stared at, and he happily reciprocated eye contact, catching the boy by surprise, as he always did. "You know," he began, feeling only more encouraged after seeing how Haechan's eyes widened. Mark continued, talking to his student's parents yet never bothering to take his eyes off him.

"I believe it would be very helpful if I gave Donghyuck some individual English lessons."

A/N:

In time again! Even I am surprised jajajaja

Thoughts? And also, what do you think will happen (or what do you want to happen)? I'm curious about your expectations xd

Don't forget to give the chapters a vote, a bit more and we'll make it to 1k! <33333