• 23 •

Haechan struggled to breathe.

As he desperately tried not to gasp too loud, each intake of air felt like it didn't bring enough oxygen into his lungs. Haechan's skin felt almost too warm and there were small droplets of sweat already starting to form on his forehead. Sunday morning had finally arrived, and he woke up panting.

Haechan looked for Renjun, only to find that he was all alone in his bed, and with a pillow underneath his head instead of the other boy's arm like when they went to sleep last night. Taking a deep breath in and out, which only resulted in a fit of painful coughs, the boy eventually stood up.

He glanced around the room, which, despite already there being daylight outside, was dimly lit due to the curtains having remained fully closed. Haechan decided that it was for the best to leave them as they were.

After making his way to the bathroom, he looked at himself in the mirror attentively. His long bangs were sticking to his forehead due to sweating, and his cheeks seemed to have a deeper red than what was usual. He realized then that despite his skin feeling warm to the touch, his entire body shivered nonstop.

Haechan washed his face and went to the kitchen, from where his parents' and Renjun's morning voices could be heard. He walked down the stairs slowly, although not very steadily, with one hand against the wall and the other holding the railing tight for dear life.

"G-good morning," he spoke after finally reaching the kitchen, his voice coming out hoarse. Leaning onto the doorframe for support, Haechan was met with strange looks from the other three, who noticed how weak the boy sounded. "Son, are you alright?" Haechan's father questioned him, placing the newspaper he had been reading back on the kitchen isle as both his wife and Renjun approached him. 

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Haechan's mom carefully placed the back of her hand on his forehead, checking her son's temperature while Renjun watched with worried eyes. "You're starting to get a fever," she concluded, a frown decorating her facial expression.

Sensing Haechan starting to lose his balance, Renjun quickly moved next to him, placing the younger's arm around his own neck and maintaining a secure hold on his wrist in order to keep Haechan steady by his side. "Hyuck, you should go back to bed," he suggested gently, concern lacing his voice as the younger shook his head, refusing to accept that he'd fallen ill.

"He's right, but let me run you a lukewarm bath first," his mom brushed his hair out of his eyes. Faintly, the boy agreed at last, "ok-okay." Although a bit forced by the three, he did not leave the kitchen without first drinking some water and putting something on his stomach. Afterwards, Renjun helped Haechan up the stairs, and the boy took a much needed bath.

Once Haechan had finally laid back on the bed, Renjun helped him take some medicine, and he carefully placed a piece of wet cloth on his forehead. Haechan didn't know when exactly it had happened, but he fell asleep somewhere within the following minutes. Sitting at the younger's desk, Renjun checked on him from time to time, but never leaving his side, not once in the entire day.

Just when he was almost falling asleep too, Haechan's mother entered the room and sat on her son's bed, holding the unconscious boy's hand in hers. "Thank you for everything you're doing, Renjun," she uttered, making Renjun's eyes widen in surprise. "Donghyuck is so lucky to have a friend like you." 

Friend.

That's right, I'm his best friend.

Renjun has never had any issue with that word, not until the past few weeks. Whether or not it was told after 'best,' something about those six little letters made his heart sting in the most painful way. The boy couldn't even point out when exactly did his feelings for Haechan develop, but he knew he was absolutely terrified. 

Just for how long was he going to be able to continue burying them deep down, Renjun was not sure, and it made him bite his lower lip anxiously. He didn't want to lose him. He didn't want to ruin anything between them.

Regardless, he was grateful for Mrs. Lee's kind words, taking them in while a small smile formed on his face, and after swallowing the lump on his throat, he shook his head in denial. 

"It's really nothing, Mrs. Lee, I'm sure he would do the same for me."

A/N:

Thoughts?

I know it felt like a bit of a filler, but hang on cause things are gonna get interesting ;)

Don't forget to vote! <3