• 32 •

When his eyes opened again, Haechan didn't know how much time had passed.

He blinked very slowly, trying to adjust to the dim light of the room. As the boy stared at the ceiling, his mind started replaying what had happened earlier, perhaps trying to get some degree of agency over it, but surely failing to do so. It wasn't until a few seconds later when he recognized something he'd overlooked completely. He was not in his bedroom, not even in his house.

Haechan sat up quickly, almost hurting his head in the process, and began inspecting his surroundings; there was a certain familiarity in the space. His heart sank at the realization that he was still in Mr. Lee's home, actually, lying on the sofa of the living room, where they just ate dinner not long ago. He began to panic again.

The table had been cleaned, and his parents were nowhere in sight. Not daring to get off the sofa yet, he tried to lift his body a little to be able to see the hallway that connected the living room with the kitchen. There, the light was on, and Haechan could hear the monotone sound of the faucet as someone washed the dishes. With his mind in a frenzy, the boy tried to decide what to do next. 

The hall was at the other side of the room, maybe he could just get up and leave-- but before he could give it more thought, the faucet was turned off and after a moment, some footsteps were heard. Haechan gasped quietly as the steps were nearing the living room. Out of instinct, he laid back again and closed his eyes tightly, pretending to be unconscious.

Mark was now in the same room as him. Haechan was in his teacher's house, alone and completely defenseless. It took him all his might to keep his eyes shut and his breathing steady. Mr. Lee went to observe him for a moment, mesmerized. With his soft hair reaching his eyes, his long lashes, his pouty lips and the first few buttons of his shirt undone, Mark thought his student looked absolutely delicious. And most importantly, he was there, right there, within arms reach. If he wanted to, he could just...

Mark lifted his hand as to touch him, but on a second thought, he limited himself in simply sighing and walking away. He sat on the chair he had used during dinner and placed his head on his palm. Is he going to wait there until I wake up? Haechan wanted the answer to be negative, but he knew nothing ever went his way when Mr. Lee was involved. However, he truly believed that he was temporarily safe, if it hadn't been for what happened next. 

"Stop pretending, Sunshine, I know that you're awake."

Haechan's heart skipped a beat, or maybe more than one. It was too late now to keep acting, and so hesitantly, he opened his eyes. A pleased smile decorated Mark's face, and the boy wanted nothing but to erase it forever. He sat up again on the sofa and faced him, with his body tense and guard on. He was scared, both of them knew it. "Don't worry, I won't try anything now," Mr. Lee suddenly informed, and his student would've relaxed, but that last word kept him on edge.

"What am I doing here?" There was an uncomfortable silence, but maybe only for the younger. "You fainted," Mark replied nonchalantly, as if that explained everything. Haechan crossed his arms on his chest, feeling more protected this way, "that doesn't answer my question," he didn't know where he got the courage to speak like that, but he was grateful. It even impressed his teacher, "your parents and I thought it would be a better idea to let you rest here instead of carrying you back to your house. You could've gotten hurt in the process."

"So where are my parents now?" Haechan asked tentatively, already fearing the response he was about to receive, "waiting for you at your house, of course." "Then," he gulped, "I-I should get going." The boy got up finally, but a movement from Mr. Lee caused him to flinch and sit back down. He went to take something from outside his jeans pocket, "aren't you forgetting something?" The older showed a small black object which he recognized immediately. His mouth went dry when he comprehended the terrible mistake he had committed. It was his phone; Haechan had left it in Mr. Lee's office.

"Give-- give it back," Mark completely ignored his student's request, "I've taken the liberty of sending me your contact information, I hope you don't mind." He taunted, not finishing his little speech yet, "this way we can arrange our private lessons easier, don't you think?" Haechan wanted to yell at him, tell him how much he hated him, how he was ruining his life, but he was afraid and so weak. He nodded his head, giving Mark exactly what he wanted. 

"One last thing before I let you go." What else now??? Haven't you done enough? "Know that, if you dare mention a single word about any of this," when uttering the word 'this,' Mark moved his hand to signal the space in between them. Suddenly, his voice turned dead serious and the atmosphere became even more tense. "Before anyone starts believing you, I'll make sure that you get expelled from high-school, and with that stain in your academic record, I doubt many universities would admit you." That moment felt for Haechan like the word collapsed on top of him.

"Think about your parents, how disappointed they would be... you should know by now that I don't make empty promises," Mr. Lee threatened. His student, hopeless, shrank more into the sofa, his shoulders shaking, "just... just tell me..." Haechan couldn't stop the tears that fell from his eyes anymore, "...why are you doing this? What do you want from me!?" His hands curled into fists, and Mark only smirked.

"I want everything."

A/N:

Thoughts?

Don't forget to vote if you liked it <3