Ninjaball Run

Like always, the six of us are heading to the dojo. Luckily the dojo is only a few blocks away from our apartment, so we've decided to make the walk rather than waste our limited money on bus tokens. My fingers are intertwined with Kai's as we follow behind the others, who are lost in their own world.

"Hey, Yue," Cole pipes up, breaking his conversation with Jay, "What was your life like before being a Ninja? Like before any of us showed up."

I think for a second, the others waiting for my answer. It's been so long, it's almost hard to remember a time before they showed up. It feels like we've always been a family.

"Kinda lonely," I confess, finding the words. "When I wasn't training, I'd read anything I could find," I explain as we arrive at the dojo, "Oh, I did have a small garden for a while," I add, "I grew small flowers when I was younger."

"Wow, so you were basically a gardener," Jay points out, as we enter the first room.

"If I were a gardener," Kai smirks, pulling me closer by our intertwined hands, "I'd put our two-lips together." 

Despite the bad pun, I can't help but laugh. His face flushes red as he realizes what he had said. Seeing the embarrassed smile on his face, I can't help but mimic his blush.

"What aren't we like that?" Jay whines to Cole, pointing an arm in our direction. 

"Because if I was a gardener, you'd be my hoe." Cole responds bluntly, crossing his arms. He ignores the offended look on the Blue Ninja who is uncharacteristically speechless.

"Hey, Kai," Lloyd calls from the other room, his blonde head poking out from the door frame. Pulling us from our trace, we look over at him. The young Green Ninja's long sleeves had unrolled, and he was struggling to fix them. "I need some help."

With a playful sigh, Kai lets go of my hand and follows after Lloyd. I lean on the doorframe and watch the two. Kneeling down, Kai refolds the blonde's sleeves, both of them with matching smiles as they talk. Subconsciously, I match their smiles. It warms my heart to see how close the two have gotten.

"Oh, I love you," Jay teases in a high-pitched voice, leaning against my arm. Pulling me from my thoughts, I can't help but roll my eyes at him.

"I love you too," Cole joins, leaning on my other shoulder, "We're so in love."

"Nothing is more powerful than our love," Jay adds, throwing his arm over his face for dramatic effect.

"Cut it out," I playfully groan, shoving the two off. The two of them share and look then turn back to me with knowing smirks.

 "Besides, it's not like that," I sigh, my voice growing quieter. I hadn't really thought about it before. Honestly, I didn't even realize until just now. "We haven't said that," I mumble, before I have time to back out.

The two stop in their tracks, both sharing the same flabbergasted expression. I could almost see the gears turning in their heads as they process what I just told them.

"What do you mean you guys haven't said I love you?" Jay all but shouts, "You guys are like the couple."

"All this kissing and hand holding," Cole adds equally frantic, running a hand through his dark hair, "Not once?"

I flush deeper at their comments, burring my face in my hands. Have we been that obvious? Not that we really tried to hide...whatever it is that's going on between us.

"Look," Jay says, throwing his arm over my shoulders. I raise my head slightly from hand to tell him I'm listening. "You and Kai have that kind of easy chemistry where you finish each other's-"