Child's Play

We're home.

It's almost hard to believe. After the race, we cleared out all trace of Garmadon and the Serpentine from the Bounty. With a fresh coat of paint, the ship is back just like how we left it.

Not only is our home back, but now we can properly train Lloyd. Speaking of which, the boys have been on deck for a while.

I arrive on deck just in time to watch Cole knock over Lloyd. The young ninja face plants and lays there for a moment. I sprint up to Lloyd just as the others meet him, taking off their masks to reveal their concerned faces.

"That was fun," Lloyd perks up, unphased and clearly bored, "Are we done?"

"Oh, come on. You're better than this," Jay insists, "What's on your mind?"

"Well," Lloyd begins, standing up, "The latest issue of Starfarer just came in at Doomsday Comix and it's a limited run, so if I don't go out and get it, it's going to sell out." A weight seems to lift from his shoulders, before smiling and setting the scene, "Last they left off, intergalactic rogue Fritz Donnegan was surrounded by the Imperial Sludge, and if I don't find out if he gets out alright, I think I might have my own doomsday."

I can't help but smile at his reactions. It's easy to forget sometimes because of his abilities, but he is still just a kid. A young kid, excited about his comic books.

"The fate of Ninjago rests on your shoulders," Kai says, solemnly, "As the Green Ninja, you have a giant responsibility to hold." Lloyd's smile disappears and he looks sadly at his feet. "I'm sorry, but you don't have time for such childish things."

"Other kids get to play and have fun," Lloyd slumps, "All I ever do is train." He goes over to the railing and watches kids down in Jamanakai Village play together.

"C'mon guys, he's still just a kid," I reason, trying to keep my voice down so Lloyd doesn't overhear.

"We're sorry Yue, but it's his destiny," Cole says. Only I don't hear his voice, instead I hear Sensei Wu.

My blood begins to boil. The other's seem to notice and wince under my gaze. Wordlessly, I spin on my heels and go below deck.

Whether the other's followed me or not I don't know or care. Storming down the halls, I slam open the door I was looking for.

"He is a child," I fume, my voice spilling out into the hallway behind me, "And a child is allowed to have fun."

Unphased by my sudden outburst, Sensei opens his eyes, looking at me from his place on the floor. His voice comes out even and calm, "A child who is destined-"

"But a child nonetheless!" I snap, trying my best to control my growing anger, "You're putting so much pressure on him. Even the others are starting to sound like you."

"He must be ready when the time comes," he reasons, "He still has much to learn before he can face Lord Garmadon."

"But what about Lloyd?" I'm now yelling, "He didn't ask for this! He has to fight his father! The one person he loves the most in this world!" I stress, my voice slowly growing quieter, "And you won't let him have a bit of fun to cope with this?"

Tears sting my eyes as I think of Lloyd. He probably doesn't even understand the full weight of the burden on his shoulders.

Regaining some composure, I turn towards the open doorway, glaring daggers back at the old man. I say with a surprisingly calm voice, "A child should not have to bear the weight of the world."

Not waiting for a response, I leave and head to my bedroom next door. Slamming the door shut behind me, I cover my face in my hands. Letting out a frustrated scream, I slowly sink against the door.