chapter 1: night shift terror

The police officer decided to go outside for a brief cigarette break before walking back inside the hospital. The icy winds quickly penetrated his clothing, making him shiver.  He looked up at the clear night sky, the stars twinkling brightly.

It was difficult enough working the graveyard shift, what with the eerie ambiance of the hospital, only getting three hours of sleep, and having to rely on energy drinks.

He pulled a pack of Marlboro Red cigarettes out of his jacket and then dug around for a lighter. After a few moments of rummaging, he found it and lit his cigarette. He exhaled a cloud of smoke while gazing at the parking lot that was nearly empty.

It was really quiet, almost eerily so. The officer had never experienced a night like this before.

He looked around, checking for any unusual activity or movement.

He mumbled into the darkness, "God, I hate working the night shift," as the night progressed.

He was startled by the sound of a soda can rolling on the ground, which caused him to reflexively draw out his revolver while simultaneously sticking the cigarette to his lips.

He searched the surrounding region thoroughly in an attempt to identify the source of the noise.

One second later, an unidentified red Toyota began to randomly go off.

The cop swiftly spun around while keeping his position and ensuring that his rifle was still pointed in the same direction.

His body moved slowly in the direction of the automobile, where he was prepared to warn the person to cease interfering with the peace.

But when he got there, he saw that there was no one sitting in the driver's seat. He was puzzled by this discovery.

Confounded, he put down his weapon and began looking around the parking lot, searching for any sign of the driver. There was no sign of any other person there, it was just him in that parking lot.

This stupidity was interfering with his opportunity for a smoke break. Throughout his time working night shifts at the hospital, the craziest thing that has ever happened to them is that they've had to assist in detaining unhinged patients.

The officer made his way back to the hospital's rear doors so that he could take another pull on his cigarette before entering the building.

He went back to his spot, back facing the automatic doors. With one hand resting loosely on his belt and the other holding the cigarette between two fingers, he stood securely on the ground with his feet planted firmly apart.

The automatic doors slid open. The officer almost broke his neck craning his head to see who had walked out of the building.

He opened his mouth to greet the person but there was nobody there.

Even though he was only smoking one cigarette, he was already anxious about how the evening would turn out. He ignored it and turned around, bringing his two fingers up to his lips again to take another puff.

The automatic doors opened with a rustling sound as they swung open. The officer was about to check again, but instead he was greeted by the sight of a figure covered in a dark cloak and wearing a white mask with unusual features.

He froze in terror, his heart racing in his chest.

The figure started moving towards him, and the officer's survival instincts kicked in. He drew out his weapon and aimed it at the figure, ordering it to stop. But the figure kept moving, its steps slow and deliberate.

The officer fired a warning shot, but it had no effect on the figure. The figure kept coming closer and closer, until it was right in front of the officer.

The officer could see the details of the mask, the elongated nose and the eerie smile carved into it.

Suddenly, the figure moved faster than the eye could see.

The officer was far too sluggish to respond. It seemed as if a dagger had been thrust vertically up the hollow region below his chin, slicing through arteries and bones with its end protruding from his head.

Blood began to gush out of the man's lips, as well as the two openings where the knife had entered his skull.

As quickly as the knife had passed through the man's head, the figure pulled it back out, more blood spewing out. The police officer landed with a resounding thud on the freezing earth below him.

He didn't even get to finish his cigarette.