chapter 28: peace pancakes

The morning sun cast a warm glow through the windows of the quaint diner as you sat at a corner booth with Liv, Anika, and Amber.

The clatter of cutlery and the aroma of freshly cooked breakfast wrapped around the restaurant, creating a comfortable atmosphere. Liv grinned as she looked at the group, her eyes filled with genuine warmth.

"Hey, glad to see you two are well," she greeted, her voice laced with relief.

Y/N rubbed her temples tiredly, shutting her eyes shortly.

She looked at her two friends in front of her through fatigue eyes. Be it as it may, she was relieved to not be having anymore nightmares since she's made peace with Wes and Gale's death..in her own way.

"I'm so tired."

Anika offered a sympathetic smile.

"Hopefully pancakes will cheer you up."

Y/N glanced around the diner, noticing their waitress approaching their table. She had an easy smile and an air of confidence about her as she greeted your group.

"Hi guys. Welcome. What can I get for you today?"

Anika being the one nearest to the waitress returned the smile, her eyes meeting the waitress's in a humorous exchange.

"We're gonna need a few minutes to decide, if that's okay."

The waitress nodded, her gaze lingering on Anika for a moment longer than necessary.

"Sure thing, sweetheart. Take your time. I'll be right over when you're ready."

As the waitress walked away, there was a subtle shift in the air. Amber raised an eyebrow, glancing between Anika and the departing waitress.

"Did anyone else notice that?"

Liv leaned in, her lips curling into a knowing smile.

"Oh, I noticed. Our girl Anika's got an admirer."

Anika rolled her eyes playfully, though a faint blush tinged her cheeks.

"No she wasn't. She was just being nice."

Y/N chuckled, adding to the teasing. Her mood switching from sullen to more at ease.

"Is this your first time liking women? She called you sweetheart."

Amber smirked, baiting Anika.

"Who knows, you might just get her number by the end of this."

Anika shot a mock glare at her friends, her eyes revealing some hilarity.

"You guys are so annoying."

The waitress returned after a few minutes, her smile seemingly a touch warmer as she addressed Anika first. The others didn't appear to mind since they were invested in this interaction between their friend and the hot waitress.

"Ready to order now?"

Anika looked at all of them, evident smirks on all of their faces. She stared back, inaudibly examining their expressions.

"We're good here," Y/N nodded, letting Anika lead the conversation.

They all went around giving her their orders. The waitress's gaze locked onto Anika's, a hint of flirtatiousness in her tone.

"I'll be right back with everything shortly, ladies."

Liv and Amber exchanged knowing glances, their lips quirking into smug smiles. As the waitress left to submit their order, the playful banter continued among your group, turning the serious diner outing into a light-hearted time.