chapter 22: heathen

The cafeteria was buzzing with the usual chatter and clattering of trays as the friends sat together at their usual table at lunch.

As the group chatted in the cafeteria, they couldn't help but still feel somewhat uneasy about the events that took place that Saturday.

They didn't know who to trust anymore and they weren't even able to protect each other. They tried to distract themselves with small talk, but it didn't go far.

Tara sighed, her fork barely touching her food.

"Sam has been extremely annoying lately," she muttered.

"I mean you can't really blame her, Tar," Y/N said, taking a bite of her sandwich.
"We're all just majorly on edge. She's just being protective."

"I think she's planning for us to leave Woodsboro and go back to Modesto," Tara said in a low voice, not meeting anyone's eyes but they all heard it.

"What? That's bogus. You can't leave," Chad exclaimed, leaning back in his seat.

The news accidentally made him squish the tuna sub in his hand. He realized his mistake and sadly stared at his ruined lunch.

"What he means to say is that if you're leaving, then why shouldn't we all leave? And that's not gonna cut it. We're all in danger, not just you and Sam."

Liv put her hands on Chad's shoulders and turned to their friends, trying to mildly save him.

"Yeah, I don't want to leave either and abandon you guys," Tara said, shaking her head.

"Also because we only have a few months left. We have prom and graduation. Then...we can all get the fuck out of Woodsboro," Amber added, displaying an adamant front.

Y/N was panicking inside at the possibility of Sam and Tara leaving. They needed them here. Everything would be ruined if Sam actually pulled through.

Sam was critical yet risky factor. Y/N was always on her toes at the thought of Sam making one little decision that could alter her well thought out plan. And she didn't want to have to resort to ultimately killing her too soon.

But Y/N could only hold on to the hope that the others wouldn't allow Sam to take Tara away. Even Tara didn't want to leave, not when it was their last year.

"Let's go to New York," Chad suggested out of nowhere, throwing his messy sandwich on his tray.

Everyone looked at him weirdly. Even Tara, who had been staring blankly at her bland meal, looked up at him in bewilderment.

"And why New York, dingus?" Mindy asked with a raised eyebrow.

Chad brandished his good arm, trying to paint the vision as he spoke.
"New York is cool. They have an intricate subway system," he said with a sparkle in his eyes.

"And mutant rats. Don't forget those," Mindy teased, scrunching up her face in disgust, causing the group to laugh.

As they ate and chatted, Anika and Y/N were attached at the hip, laughing and talking animatedly.

Amber and Tara looked at each other, feeling a twinge of jealousy.

They noticed that Anika and Y/N seemed to be getting along really well, laughing and joking together like old friends.

Amber tried to join in on the conversation, but Y/N and Anika seemed to be in their own world.

"You two seem to be getting along well," Tara said, trying to sound friendly.

"Anika and I were just talking about the Tiktok she just posted," Y/N replied while waving her phone and then smiled back at Anika.

Anika giggled and leaned over to Y/N.