chapter one: you're a genius

_________
-UNKEPT-
PROMISES

Waking up in the morning is easy, said no one ever

Waking up in the morning is easy, said no one ever. Being forced to wake up for school was just as bad as going to sleep late. Something a normal person would do is list all the cons of it.

That's the story of everyone's lives growing up. Except sometimes, Valentina Alma thought she was the one in a billion who was different. Setting her alarm for 6:35 a.m. always ended up with her mom walking through the door ten minutes later, telling her to get up since her brother also needed to use the bathroom afterwards.

Groaning, while thoughts infused in her brain. "Valentina it's time to get up," her mom stated as she gave the Alma girl a kiss on the head.

Finally getting up from her bed, walking to the bathroom. Locking the door, looking at herself in the mirror, light, but yet dark under eyes. She never minded sharing things about herself, but would never talk about her deepest problems of recently having to keep waking up from horrific nightmares.

Where each one was different, her mom dying, then following with her dad, and then brother. Until one time she had a nightmare that was too real, as if it was the opposite of reminiscing, her grandma's death.

The way that Valentina and her family found out about her death was a call from her aunt. She went into complete shock, with an infinite amount of tears running down her face.

She never quite knew how to react. So, like rest of her family, she showed her emotions that day, and continued on like nothing happened.

Exiting the bathroom, returning to her room, Valentina started getting ready. She didn't want to go today, seeing as she had to do a presentation, but at least there was an assembly today and would cut class time.

"Valentina, hurry up," her little brother rushed.

She looked up at the clock. Five minutes.

It took her brother five minutes to get ready. If only it were ever that easy.

Scurrying her way out of her room, heading out to her dad's car.

Then heading to school, looking at the trees, ways from the cul-de-sac neighborhood, while music was blasting through her headphones.

About twenty minutes later, they arrived at the combined schools.

"Marco try not to cause any trouble, again. And Valentina, smile more," their dad scolded them.

Rolling her eyes as she shut the door, getting ready to cross the parking lot of the school. Lazily looking both ways before starting to cross until she heard honking coming from a maroon BMW who was just mere inches away from her.