chapter three: 𝐡arrington to the rescue

__________
-UNKEPT-
PROMISES

Dinner at the Alma residence is never quiet

Dinner at the Alma residence is never quiet. Marco, Valentina's brother, always pestered her about something stupid. Her parents talked about the recent drama in the neighborhood, same old, same old. Tonight they were having spaghetti, something that Christina could make since she never really grew up knowing how to cook.

"Hey Ma, guess what I saw today?" Marco excitedly asked. He never found it hard for himself to make conversation, especially when it came to ratting out his sister.

"I saw Valentina almost get run over by Steve! It was priceless, but she ended up walking off like a scaredy-cat." That little shit. Her parents spit out their wine.

"She what? Hija, how many times have we told you to look both ways?" Christina reminded her. Maybe now was a good time to ask them about the basketball game.

"Sorry!" she glared at Marco then kicked his leg, while he smiled innocently. "Off-topic. Two things. One, could one of you drop me off at my school tonight to see the basketball game? And two, could one of you drop me off at Family Video tomorrow so I can rent-out a few movies?"

A mixture of responses were heard.

"You know what, never mind, forget about it, it's fine." She always hated when her family overreacted.

"No! No! No! I'll take you. I'm assuming the game's going to start soon, so go start getting ready, I'll pick up your plate for you," Armando Alma spoke for the first time in a while.

"Thanks dad!" Heading to her room, she was contemplating on whether she should change or keep her outfit the same. Deciding on the latter, she found an outfit and retouched her hair.

Looking in the mirror, giving herself her own pep talk. "Just breathe and you'll be fine. Walk in the gym and find a place to sit. Walk in and find Steve. Who am I kidding, he's going with Heidi. No! Brenda, shit, uh she really is a fluke," rolling her eyes, then exiting her room. "Dad, I'm ready!"

Giving her mom a hug and ruffling her brother's hair, she was ready to go, "Love you hija!"

"Bye Ma!" Valentina responded.

Driving to the school, her dad scolded her, "Vale, take all the time you need when you're at the school, okay? Make sure to enjoy yourself and make friends! It's your last year, make the best of it. Yeah?"

Valentina nodded. Seeing as they still had a few minutes until they arrived at the school, she debated to tell him about what had happened on the way home from school.